DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI i have an 05 dodge ram 1500 and i have been getting some rattling from the driver side front tire. also now i have been getting an occasional abs light combined with the brake light but it goes off and it comes and goes.

so at first i figured it was the center cap on the rims but then i noticed that the noise went away when i pressed on the brakes. so yesterday i took of the wheel and removed the center cap on the rims put the rim back on and took it for a test drive but the noise is still there. i also noticed that the rotor was very loose and considering i have 1 inch spacers bolted on to the old lug hub i don't think the rotors should be moving at all right? its the same as me putting on the wheel lugs backwards and tightening them. they should hold the rotor in place

any idea what would be causing this? im guessing the bearing is going but when i grab the wheel at 6 and 12 and try to move in while its jacked up there is like zero movement. so just wondering if anyone had a similar problem in the past or any tips or ideas

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
Sounds like maybe you should remove the rotor, inspect the bearings.. Maybe since you are there, replace both bearings and inspect the rotor. Maybe replace that as well.

Make sure the rotor is on snug with the castle nut.. and try again..

Also, clean the ABS sensor at the hub while you are there to fix the light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok sounds good. i gonna pull off the rotor this evening when someone is home to hold the brake pedal and go from there. does the castle nut hold the rotor on??? the manual said it was held by the lug nuts but i can't tell with the spacers on there and the caliper and all

·
Registered
226 Posts
the lugs hold the rotor in place..... also, I wouldnt recommend pumping the brakes if you dont have something in between the callipers like a rotor .... You will Pop the cylinder out of the socket :O! then you have brake fluid going every where which is very messy to clean up, and then you have to put it back in the socket and make sure the dust boot is all nice and neat. and Finally after all that you will have to bleed the brakes!

So save your self the hassle and dont pump it without anything holding it back :p ( I know I learned the hard way.... but on a customers car haha)

·
Registered
240 Posts
XProdigy is 100% correct, so I am not going to restate what he just said. But, to add, when testing for bad wheel bearings, you cannot always get movement with just holding at 6 and 12 with just your hands. Jack it up so the tire is about and inch or two off the ground and put a pry bar (or equivalent) under the tire and pull up and see if you can feel any movement. If your abs and brake lights are coming on, i would say there is a problem with the sensor in the hub. But, 9 times out of 10 (at least if you live in a place where it snows and salt is used on the roads), the sensor will break off inside the hub, so even if the hub is not bad, I would just replace the entire hub if the sensor is your problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
first of all, does the spacer you mentioned go flush against the rotor? In other words, does the center hub hold the spacer off the rotor? Next, the best way to check the hub is with the tire/wheel mounted so that you have more leverage on the hub, you will need to of coarse lift it off the ground so the vehicle weight is not on the wheel, and you may need someone looking from behind to determine if there is any play or where it is coming from. Using the pry bar under the wheel may help as well.

If the wheel bearing is bad, most come with a new wheel speed sensor installed. That "might" fix the abs light. But it's always best to replace what you know is bad before trying to replace what might be bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thx for the words of caution guys :) no worries i was talking about someone holding the brakes so i could loosen the castle nut and the wheel lugs that hold on the spacer... otherwise everything just spins

yes wildchilds the spacers are mounted to the old wheel lugs with flush mounting nuts and then there is new lugs on the spacer after you trim off half the original lugs. i put them on in the spring time because my truck is lifted 6 inches but the rims were in a lot and the stance was narrow as you can see in the pic. so the cornering sucked. pushing the rims out gave the truck much better handling due to a wider stance and it looks a lot sharper now from the same angle. but yes i actually noticed today that the spacer appears to be binding on the center hub just before it seats against the rotor. so that would explain the rattling over bumps and on dirt roads and also explains why it stops when i press on the brakes. its the front drivers side i guess all this time the rotor has been bouncing around and not sure what kind of damage to expect

so now the problem is to get the spacer off. i took off all the lugs and that spacer is stuck on there!!! i gonna try heating the spacer tomorrow with a propane torch and see if i can get it off. if not I'm wondering if i can loosen the castle nut and pop off the whole assembly and take it to a shop. either way i need to get that spacer off in one piece so i can grind it out and make sure it fits properly when i install it again. and also inspect all the parts in the hub and see what damage has been done :( i hope i don't have to cut it apart cuz those spacers i think you can only buy in a set of 4 and there like $200

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
it shouldn't be that bad to get the spacer off. I have seen wheels do the same thing due to corrosion build-up on the hub and then when rotating the tires one wheel doesn't go on all the way and the wheel comes off while driving or the studs snap and the wheel comes off. Regardless, it is something to get fixed ASAP.
soak it withsome sort of rust penetrating like pb blaster.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I ran lug centric wheel adapters on my 2nd gen much less of a hassle than hubcentric. Also NEVER CUT LUGNUTS IN HALF.... tire shops have short sleeveless lugs that will work for this.. be aware, wheel adapters are kind of a pain. Most tire shops won't touch your truck with those.

·
Work In Progress
1,321 Posts
I had a rattle on the front brakes on my 1500. It ended up being the rotor was kinda loose. From the factory the put clips over the studs to hold the rotors up tight to the hub to go through the assembly line. I reinstalled some of these that I got from work and no more rattle. Worth a shot.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Just a little more info.

My wife's car had a smilar rattle. It turned out the spring clips that held the brake pads in the caliper failed, the rattle I heard was the pad wriggling around in the caliper. When I replaced the clips, no more rattle.

The other guys suggestions are good too. But as my dad always said, start with the cheap $hit first.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Just a little more info.

My wife's car had a smilar rattle. It turned out the spring clips that held the brake pads in the caliper failed, the rattle I heard was the pad wriggling around in the caliper. When I replaced the clips, no more rattle.

The other guys suggestions are good too. But as my dad always said, start with the cheap $hit first.
I agree. I replaced all my anti-rattle clips with new, when I did my full brake job last year. All the metalic clunking/rattling noises from the front when going over pot holes etc, went away.
I'd try new anti=rattle pad clips first. they're a cheap fix.
Al.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
First I would replace the wheels with the correct off set and get rid of the spacer. A spacer is nothing but trouble. the added stress on the hub is not worth it. Do it right and it should eliminate a loose rotor. If it's the anti rattle clips, it would buy you some time, but eliminate the root cause and replace the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.