DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this should be the correct spot to post so move this thread if you have to....

Today I hooked up my duck boat trailer up to my Ram... to wire new Led's lights on my trailer... I wire up my drivers side and passenger side... try em everything works on drivers side ( blinker,stop and tail ) passenger side only blinker and brake... but no tail... it should be a simple install just cut old lights off and wire the colored wires to new lights that are same colored wire's????

Anyone know why my passenger side tail is not working but everything else is fine???? if I have blinker and stop light my ground should be good????

·
Registered
797 Posts
lol you wired it wrong? its trailer lights you said it yourself its simple. You must of hooked something up wrong. go double check and if it checks fine break out the meter and make sure your getting power. Shouldnt take any time to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure... I tried everything I can think off with trouble shooting... I do not have a meter right now to test I can't find it!!!

The light itself on passenger side has white which is ground... green which is turn light and brown which is tail and license plate lamp.... 3 wires... my trailer has the same 3 colored wires... I matched them all up by color on drivers side they are fine, did the same match on passenger side no tail?????

maybe the lights is defective??? but if I get brake and turn my grounds should be fine right?

·
HEMI FTW
75 Posts
I'd say you have a bad bulb, somehow there is a brake in the circuit, or the LED for the tail is wired backwards....unlike regular incandescent bulbs, LED's will only work wired one way...

·
Registered
797 Posts
You sure the white is ground? usually green is ground but im not sure on trailer wiring. Is it hooked up the same as the other side? Do you have a test light? You can try using the old lights to see if the new ones are defective, they could be but they are probably fine. Call it a day and look at them tomorrow with fresh eyes. I think you hooked them up wrong or your missing something easy. Bad connection? How did you make the connections?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to return the one for another one... see what happens... If the same thing happens then I'll have to borrow a meter from my buddy to start trouble shooting...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sure the white is ground? usually green is ground but im not sure on trailer wiring. Is it hooked up the same as the other side? Do you have a test light? You can try using the old lights to see if the new ones are defective, they could be but they are probably fine. Call it a day and look at them tomorrow with fresh eyes. I think you hooked them up wrong or your missing something easy. Bad connection? How did you make the connections?
yeah white is ground the directions say so also... I've hooked up trailer led lights before a few times and no problems... and my old light with bulbs worked before a snipped the wires and pulled it off... my trailer is only 2 years old I bought new in 2008... and I hooked the drivers side and passengers side the same way and only 1 side works and the brake and turn light work on the bad one... I'm thinking it has to be a defective light???

right, if I have a turn single and stop light but tail not working ...the ground should be fine???

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just wired my trailer. I remember it by this.
White is ground.
bRown-R for running lights. Some trailers have two browns from their plug.
yeLlow-L is for left side.
gReen-R is for right side.

Yeah I know there is to R's. :)

The brown wire is running lights. There is one wire from the plug that has to SPLIT to both of the lights. Find where it splits and look for a break from there back to the light that is not lighting.

Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it is lighting up in anyway, you have a good ground.
What did you use to connect them? Butt connectors? If so, cut it off the brown wire and put another one on. Never know if you got a bad crimp.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll get back to messing with it later this weekend... I think it's a bad defective light cause I just put all the old wires of my old light and connected them real quick and they worked!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.