DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup everyone i am new here but i though this would be the best place to ask questions well my 1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2 start missing a few days ago i was like no big deal and went to the local parts store pick brand new plugs think the factory plug may need replacing so i put in Champion Double Platinums So i went head gapped them .040 put them in and fired it up and still missing now i am about to go nuts this my baby i am talking about here so i ask a few other people what they thought my dad and I thought maybe new plug wires but still unsure so we talk to my Uncle he say he is 95% sure I need a new EGR Valve he said he had the same kinda things happing to his car here tryed plugs and stay the same till he found out about this EGR valve he replaced and it fixed he said around $130 not bad i though so then i call the part store again ask about it they say it ranges from 100-300 depending on the part number i was shocked at the price owell now i am the point I need your guys help Where is this Located in the Durango? Is it easy enough to do myself? Any Help would be most grateful :help:

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
If in fact it is an EGR on a 98 I would think it will throw a code. I am a Dodge Guy through and through(Except my Mustang II's) but work in a Ford Service Dept [I tell people the reason I drive Dodge's is to make sure I get to work...but work at Ferd for job security since they will always need repairs ;)]. Anyway they (ferds) always throw some type of code if it's EGR related...........BUT It is NEVER the EGR Valve itself (except the 6.0 Power Stroke). I can't even begin to tell you how many people have come to us after replacing their EGR d/t Autozone reading that code, only to find out the EGR wasn't the problem at all. It's the DPFE sensor for the EGR or the ports are clogged going to the EGR. If it is throwing EGR codes follow that path.... otherwise I wouldn't throw away $300. for an EGR valve that is probably not bad. Especially when things like plug wires, dist cap and rotor should at least be inspected and probably replaced on a '98 if they are original.. I would start there first (normal wear items anyway)... or wait and hopefully a Mopar tech will chime in with more info for you on how reliable Dodge's EGR system is......
If it even has an EGR .......If memory serves me correctly some Dodge engines dont utilize an EGR system....but I am around ferds all the time and not posative.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
98+ do not have an EGR system. (EGR problems are not likely to cause a misfire anyway.) If you only replaced the plugs, what about the cap and wires? When were they last replaced? I'd also check for codes. It may help with exacly what is wrong. 98's have to have the codes read. Autozone will do it for free or purchase a scanner youself.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
I'm with neil on this one. Sounds like you need a new cap and rotor. Change the wires & double check the gap on the plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.