1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
that was way cool but if the viper had a better ET on the second pass and the truck wasnt in 4wd, i think the viper would have taken it. but that is way to many what ifs.

BTW, nothing sounds as cool as a turbo whistle on a diesel.

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nickd907 said:
BTW, nothing sounds as cool as a turbo whistle on a diesel.
Agreed :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
12.40 @ 105.92
3,810 Posts
dat's badass bro..........turbo diesel's are sick fast

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I'd love to the see the results if the Viper had a turbo too :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Point is the viper is supposed to go that fast, not the truck. I know i'd feel shitty if i bought a viper then a cummins came up and smoked me.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
thebignasty said:
Point is the viper is supposed to go that fast, not the truck. I know i'd feel shitty if i bought a viper then a cummins came up and smoked me.
I agree with ya. Its impressive to watch a truck smoke a Viper. But its also important to know that the truck is fast not because it is a diesel, but because it has a turbo (or maybe two turbos in this case). Take the turbo away and that truck would run a 3 minute 1/4 mile. Plus, that truck probably has at least $10,000 in modifications to run that fast. There are some heavily modified Hemi trucks running quicker than the Viper in that video. Point being, enough money will make anything fast.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
That truck still costs a whole lot less, even with all the mods, then the Viper did. And when the racing is done the truck can tow the Viper home. Not so for the Viper....

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Lets see. $700 for a TST PMCR, $1500 for a larger Turbo, $600 for water/methanol injection, $700 for a SMARTY CR, $400 for a Edge EZ and about $3,500 worth of transmission work can turn a Cummins into one hell of a street/strip machine.

MikeyB

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I finally watched the video and it looks to me like the driver of the Viper was very slow to get on it as he left the line. I think I better driver would have made for a better race. 11:99 for a 7500lb truck is awesome though. That truck smokes like a freight train!!!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Got Diesel? said:
That truck still costs a whole lot less, even with all the mods, then the Viper did. And when the racing is done the truck can tow the Viper home. Not so for the Viper....
Anyone who owns a truck agrees with that statement. My only point is that the video speaks more about the truck owner's checking account balance than it does anything else.

Case in point?

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/bus/0/818de91c-f414-4ed3-89f7-9b159a701632.htm

And the school bus can carry more people home after the race. Not so for the Ram or Viper :D

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
BUT, couldn't you also say that the Viper owner has a large checking account? He does own a Viper!!!! The other guy is driving what looks to me like an older 12 valve truck that is heavily modded. Sure he's probably got $15,000 in mods but the truck is only worth $15,000 itself.

·
Registered
254 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
Anyone who owns a truck agrees with that statement. My only point is that the video speaks more about the truck owner's checking account balance than it does anything else.

The checking account balance of the truck's driver??? What? Did I read that right? How much does a Viper cost compared to 10 year old work truck? I don't think there is any comparison. You don't have to have 10 thousand dollars in engine work to make a Cummins run. It is however pricey, but not that much. Even if it took 15-20 thousand dollars, the Viper is still more pricey.

This isn't even taking in consideration of the weight difference of the two.

:huh: :crazy:

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Billy Goat said:
sandiegohemi said:

The checking account balance of the truck's driver??? What? Did I read that right? How much does a Viper cost compared to 10 year old work truck? I don't think there is any comparison. You don't have to have 10 thousand dollars in engine work to make a Cummins run. It is however pricey, but not that much. Even if it took 15-20 thousand dollars, the Viper is still more pricey.

This isn't even taking in consideration of the weight difference of the two.

:huh: :crazy:
I never said the Viper owner was poor. You are missing the whole point. A 2nd or 3rd Gen Cummins - STOCK - is not quick by any means. It only becomes fast once the pocketbook opens and money is poured into it.

You are right, it doesn't take $10,000 to make a Cummins - or any turbo diesel for that matter - run. But a 2nd Gen Cummins doesn't run high 11's with a programmer and exhaust.

Now, I know a bunch of people on here are going to jump on me for what I wrote. But you have to understand, I'm not saying it is not impressive that a truck beat a Viper, or that turbo diesels are not fast when modded, OR that a Viper is cheap. My point is, it takes thousands of dollars to make a 7,000 lb truck run high 11's.

·
Registered
852 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
I never said the Viper owner was poor. You are missing the whole point. A 2nd or 3rd Gen Cummins - STOCK - is not quick by any means. It only becomes fast once the pocketbook opens and money is poured into it.

You are right, it doesn't take $10,000 to make a Cummins - or any turbo diesel for that matter - run. But a 2nd Gen Cummins doesn't run high 11's with a programmer and exhaust.

Now, I know a bunch of people on here are going to jump on me for what I wrote. But you have to understand, I'm not saying it is not impressive that a truck beat a Viper, or that turbo diesels are not fast when modded, OR that a Viper is cheap. My point is, it takes thousands of dollars to make a 7,000 lb truck run high 11's.

Wanna race? Mine is all stock, I SWEAR.... :gr_bs:

·
Registered
852 Posts
sandiegohemi said:

On a serious note, I agree that a 2nd or even 3rd gen CTD will not run high 11's on just a programmer and exhaust. Like "Got Diesel" stated before, that guy or gal probably had 15k dumped into that truck, which was probably worth 15k. If I had to guess, that rig probably had propane injection, a twin turbo set up, a racing tranny or for that matter a extremley heavy duty one, and countless others. But remember, after that person was done smokin' sports cars, he could go and hook up to the 5th wheel and off to the mountains they go... You can't do that with a 90k Viper..... :rck:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
I live at 8500ft altitude. bring your truck up here and ill show you a 3rd gen STOCK cummins that will kick your ass. Silverado SS up here run about 16.5. RCSB hemi's with superchips run about 16.3. My truck does a 16.1 stock.

Doing 11's in a 2nd gen is much harder than a 3rd gen. 3rd gens require at least a smarty/tst/ez stack ($1700)
with either a monster single or twins (1200-3500)
full race tranny with billet shafts (7000)
head studs recommended (500)
and to do it more efficiently, injectors and modified CP3 (2000)

But those are just ballpark figures. and that truck will still go 500,000 miles easily.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
I'd love to the see the results if the Viper had a turbo too :D
If you knew anything about motors then you would know that a diesel will run like sh** if at all with out the turbo the turbo is not a power adder it is to create boost so that the to increase the compression ratio from 8.9/1 to 17.3/1
so that the fuel will ignite so its not the turbo its the motor and fuel. :rck:

·
Registered
117 Posts
sandiegohemi said:
I agree with ya. Its impressive to watch a truck smoke a Viper. But its also important to know that the truck is fast not because it is a diesel, but because it has a turbo (or maybe two turbos in this case). Take the turbo away and that truck would run a 3 minute 1/4 mile. Plus, that truck probably has at least $10,000 in modifications to run that fast. There are some heavily modified Hemi trucks running quicker than the Viper in that video. Point being, enough money will make anything fast.
nope $499.00-$3500.00 for an edge w/attitude or banks six gun or six gun bundle will get you what you want as for building a hemi yes you can beat a CTD only after 10,000-20,000 dollars and then i would like to see you pull a 16.000lbs trailer from the race doing 75 getting 10.5-11.5 MPH should have bought a Cummins.Have a nice Day :crazy: :gr_patrio :rck:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
diveman said:
nope $499.00-$3500.00 for an edge w/attitude or banks six gun or six gun bundle will get you what you want as for building a hemi yes you can beat a CTD only after 10,000-20,000 dollars and then i would like to see you pull a 16.000lbs trailer from the race doing 75 getting 10.5-11.5 MPH should have bought a Cummins.Have a nice Day :crazy: :gr_patrio :rck:
To run as quick as the cummins in the video did, a juice/attitude or six gun wont get you there. my juice/attitude wont break 15.000 even after 20 runs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.