1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Updated: December 06. 2011 1:22PM
'60s flashback: Chrysler tossing Dodge Dart back in the mix to replace Caliber
Alisa Priddle and David Shepardson/ The Detroit News

Chrysler Group LLC is bringing back the Dodge Dart.
Chrysler said Tuesday it will introduce the 2013 Dodge Dart next month at the North American International Auto show in Detroit.
The compact Dart sedan will replace the poor-selling Dodge Caliber hatchback. It is the first Chrysler Group vehicle based on Fiat architecture; it is adapted from the Alfa Romeo Giulietta.
The Dart will be built at Chrysler's Belvidere, Ill., assembly plant that currently makes the Caliber as well as the Jeep Compass and Patriot.
Many thought the new car, which will compete against the Chevrolet Cruze and Honda Civic, would be called the Hornet, but The Detroit News first reported that would not be the name.
Chrysler called the new Dart "a thoroughly modern vehicle that's fuel-efficient, beautifully designed and crafted, agile and brings fun back to driving in the segment." It builds on the heritage of the Dodge Dart of the late 1960s
Chrysler built the Dart in the United States from 1960 until 1976, and it continued the use of the Dart name in other markets until around 1980.
Chrysler initially sold nearly 250,000 Darts. It was a low-cost vehicle introduced to compete with other economical models after a recession including Volkswagen Beetle, Ford Falcon and American Motors Rambler.
In total, Chrysler sold more than 4 million Darts during its 16-year U.S. run. The company introduced taxi and police versions as well.
[email protected]
(313) 222-2504

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111206...k-in-the-mix-to-replace-Caliber#ixzz1fmf0ErWd

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
looks like a charger rear, interesting

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts
I wonder what engines they will use? The new Pentastar V6 would be pretty nice in this car.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2013 Dodge Dart is the new Dodge Caliber
Dodge will resurrect the Dart name for its new Alfa Romeo-based compact car, set to debut at next month's Detroit Auto Show. The Dart will be the first Alfa Romeo-based Chrysler production car introduced in the United States. Arrivederci Caliber!
Based on Alfa Romeo's Giulietta platform, this spawn of the Fiat-Chrysler merger's going to be Chrysler's first decent attempt at winning over the ever-expanding compact space since the Dodge Neon.

Chrysler's promoting heavily the Dart's Alfa-underpinning as a way of saying "we know we haven't built a good compact car in more than a decade." The two images we have show an aggressive, Charger-derived appearance that's a large departure from the Giulietta.

Not surprisingly, Chrysler calls the American version the "Compact U.S. Wide" architecture, which is to say the Guiletta has been widened for fat American butts while retaining the Alfa's four-wheel independent suspension. It's also been turned into a sedan instead of a five-door hatch.

Power will comes from a choice of three engines: a "Tigershark" 16-valve 2.0-liter engine, a 16-valve 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine (similar to what's found in the Fiat 500), and the "Tigershark" 2.4-liter MultiAir four-cylinder. There will be three transmission choices as well (some combination of manual and automatic). We hope the most powerful engine is tied to a six-speed manual transmission in the R/T model pictured above.

Chrysler also says the new Dart will be built in the company's Belvidere Assembly Plant in Belvidere, Illinois.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Yep, looks like a solid C segment competitor, finally.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I like it and that it is not only being built Stateside,but an hour or so from home too!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I like it, but I wish it had a different name. The interior looks pretty decent too.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
This car generated quite a bit of excitement on the internet over the last couple days and made it onto the local news (radio and tv) where I am -- just with those two teaser shots. I think they could be onto something here. It's been a while since Dodge had a real, competitive compact car.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
That is the same car and Dodge is going tp call it the Dart, it would be cool if the did offer a Demon package for it. Maybe make it a SRT variant of the car, the SRT-4 Demon would sound pretty bad ass now;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's what I thought. I saw the picture on the net a few weeks ago. Thought I would post it to see what everyone else thought. Does have a Neon look to it.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
It would be more of a replacement for the Neon than that of the Caliber.....now if they would make a 4dr hatchback variant like the Lebaron GTS/Lancer and Shadow/Sundance:party0003

·
Buy American
509 Posts
Yes, I want a hatchback! :loud:

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Yes, I want a hatchback! :loud:
Ditto, I've had one of the 4dr hatch Lebarons and one of the 2dr Shadows, if they can make a hatch with the cargo area like those two, I'd love to have one to park next to my XJ.

I like it just think they could have styled in a few classic Dart lines ??
No, it's already better looking as well as much more agressive in appearance and stance than the vast majority of the old Darts. Going retro beyond name alone probably wouldn't help it so much.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
It would be a serious contender for my wife's next vehicle if it were a hatch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Looks like a Neon with Mustang headlights and a charger rear

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.