DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha dodge people. I need some assistance in a diagnosis. My uncles tried to help me diagnosis and fix this issue and have had no luck. They say start replaceing parts or sell it. 🤔 I can sell it but don't want to omit the truth about its condition. As the dirty trick of unattaching the power cable from the battery clears the battery light and codes. (I have some kind of exhaust leak so other codes show up.)

My code is P0622 or maybe P00622 idr the exact amount of zeros. It's is a faulty electric generator code. Basically in my mind it says alternator dont work. However I just had the alternator rebuilt about a year or so ago. I also just had it tested a week ago, 2/27/21 abouts and it ran strong at 14 volts. However this light keeps coming on the battery not charging light.

I switched out my belt as mine was super worn out. The light stopped coming on for about two days. Then the light came back on. I can get about 40 or so miles before the light kicks on and I pull over reset computer, repeat. Only way I been able to get to work. Before we replaced the belt it was very frequent I had to pull over to reset the computer. Like 1 or 2 miles maybe.

So I have a 3.8l v6 2005 caravan. It has all electric doors and such so l believe it's the big alternator 160 volt. I know it was the big one out of the options available. However I may be incorrect as to the voltage/amperage. Its just the big boy alternator.

I have had a short for about two years maybe longer. My service panel on the top, where it says direction and inflate tires etc. That guy been turning on randomly after shut off for years. If I don't drive daily I just unplug my battery to keep it strong.

The only things I can think of is alternator is bad, or ecm is bad. Or maybe I I have a mean short that is making it do this. I just don't know and really cannot afford to take it to a shop.

I am just trying to include all the info I can. As I need help and don't want to be passed along because I sound like a basic car owner. Alas I am a basic van owner. However I really need help as I drive not only myself to work by my lady aswell.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The code will be P0622 and it doesn't necessarily mean the alternator is bad even though it is a possibility.

When you had the alternator tested on the 27th, was that in the vehicle with the engine running for the last 40 miles? Or did you pull the alternator out and have it bench tested? If the alternator is bad, it may not be showing until it's got all that heat built up in it after a long drive. The other thing that may be missed, is testing for AC ripple. Alternators have to convert AC electricity to DC electricity so the battery can store it. If the rectifier that does the conversion is failing, the AC ripple can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins to show up that can be anywhere between subtle to severe while the engine is running. Rectifiers do go bad a lot in those alternators. Did testing for voltage and amperage get done? You can get 14 volts and still have no amperage. Just for clarity, your alternator is a 160 AMP alternator, not a 160 volt alternator.

Did the battery itself get tested? A shorted cell or otherwise weak battery can cause a variety of it's own problems.

The wiring between the cluster and the PCM or the cluster itself might be causing problems, too. Depending on options, the cluster might have a voltmeter that's not sending the message to the PCM that the alternator is actually working. There is another option for what they call a voltage sensing circuit. It would be the same idea in that you have another circuit that doesn't send the message to the PCM.

That random key off short where your dash lights turn on with key off has my attention. Can you clarify what happens and how often you are disconnecting the battery for reasons other than clearing codes. Can you verify that you have a separate indicator light bar above the cluster built into the dash board and and can you verify your model year for me? I was pretty sure they eliminated the secondary cluster lights before 05, but I clearly could be wrong. Either way, the indicator lights get their power & ground through the cluster. It could be relative.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts