DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my caliber started hissing under the steering wheel. It decreases when I step on breaks or accelerate. My boyfriend got under the dash and looked, theres a grey accordion looking piece that seems to be making the noise. Its connected to my break pedal. Any advice would help!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
There is a leak in the diaphram that is part of the brake booster for the power brakes. The booster itself is probably okay, but the diaphram is integral to the booster. The diaphram cannot be replaced separately. The booster itself will have to be replaced. This will require removing the master cylinder to remove and replace the booster. Then once the booster is install, then the master cylinder has to be reconnected and the brakes bled. Not a fun job.

I had the same thing happen on my '86 Chrysler LeBaron GTS.

The booster is line with the pedal and master cylinder. Basically when you press the brake pedal the booster uses air pressure (from the engine's vacuum) to push on the rod that connects to the master cylinder which then uses hydraulic pressure to activate the brakes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts