DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I want to thank you all for providing me with such wonderful resources here. I recently purchased a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.2l. This jeep runs perfectly, other than an intermitten "high" idle and an intermitten "rough" idle. I purchased this SUV without knowing any history or the condition it was in, (hey I got it for a STEAL,what can I say!) Anyway I recently became aware that it has a cracked block. The previous owner seems to have used straight water, and it was left sitting over the cold winter, here in Ohio. I purchased some CRC Permenent Block sealer, which seems to have done the trick. However, I do believe I should change it out still, considering the sealer may not last long. My question is this, is it possible to use a 2003 Dodge Ram Van 5.2 engine in this? Is there any difference between the 1995 318 model year and the 2003 model year 318? If there is a difference, is it much of a difference? What might I have to mod for this to work with my Jeep? I am quite considering this purchase since I can get it for a "steal" as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

<Edit> I'm new to this forum, however I have posted on other forums previously. I used to be an avid poster when I had my RX7. I'm also your typical "backyard mechanic" I'll do just about anything when it comes to cars. I hope I posted this topic in the right place, if not mods please do put this in the correct place and accept my appologies.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
The engine in and of itself should bolt right up. However just to be on the safe side, I would just use the block from the Ram Van and use everything else from your '95 engine, such as intake, fuel injection, mounts (obviously), etc. This way you won't run into accessory differences, wiring differences, etc.

Just strip the 2003 engine down to the bare block and bolt all the 1995 stuff to it. It should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You VanMan!

That is the exact answer I was looking for. The main thing I really wanted to know was if the block was physically the same. I dont mind rebuilding the engine back up from the block. However my block is practically useless due to the water jacket crack.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
2003? I thought that the 318 was killed from production after 2002?!

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Ram Vans still used the 318 to 2003

Nice avatar HemiPete...Crossram 413?

·
Registered
217 Posts
yea just swap over intake manifolds, sensors, fuel rail, injectors, and accessory brackets. Now would be a nice time to get some performance parts for that jeep. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure thing ranger! Now where shall I find the dough for that? :D I'm a poor college student with no job. BTW thanks for the info everyone. I decided to pass the deal up and just stick with my current engine for a while. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that "miracle in a can!" holds up for a while.

P.S. No one would happen to have a "core" 318 would they? I wouldnt mind rebuilding, now all I need is a good rebuildable block. :VHOT:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I believe that his avitar is a 361HP with the long ram intakes say the early 60's flavor?

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
413. 426 wedges didn't have long rams, they had short tube Max-Wedge cross rams. Early 413 Max-Wedges also had cross rams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.