DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you customizing and making your own shift schedules for your truck or are you just coping an existing schedule off of http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/ ???

I receive numerious PM's regarding Superchips trans tuning shift scheduling using Excel spreadsheets and graphing. Seems like there are only a few people that fully understand how to read the graphs to map out your transmission shifts.

I thought this would be a great place for those that are interested in discussion, have questions and share experiences with shift schedules.

I probabily play with shift schedules more than anyone here so I'm here to help with the fine tuning aspect and understanding graphs. I am still learning after hundreds of shift schedules and studying the stock values and just what Dodge engineers were thinking when they programmed their values. I'm learning by adjusing the graph lines and how they physically effect the shifting characteristics of the transmissions.

Example: I learned how to hide 2nd prime behind 2nd so it doesn't come into play on a kickdown, I also tuned out a harsh clunk coasting from 3rd to 1st, etc.. so if you have an interest or questions, post up.

Here is my current schedule that I fine tuned for everyday driving habits.
Shift schedule discussion is open. :rck:

Attachments

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Whats the free program to read the graphs? Was it open office? I'm gonna read those 2 links you gave me & hopefully play with it a little very soon.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard Open Office will work but I never used it. Wondering if it is advanced enough to have the automatic graphing as you imput the shift values. The auto graphing is too important not to have because it is the only tool that allows you to visually see the shift "streams" if you will. I rely on that more than just the numbers. Of course Microsoft Excel is the program of choice.

I use Google Docs to transport numbers around. I do all the work on my desktop Excel program while graphing everything then upload the finished shift schedule to Google Docs. Unfortunately Docs only shows the shift values not the graphs but it is good enough to then open Google Docs on my smart phone and enter the shift values from Docs to the Flashpaq while sitting in my truck, that way I don't need to drag my computer to my truck and I can have a list of different schedules ready to go in Docs, when I feel like changing a schedule.

Attachments

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
time to do some reading, either I'm slower grasping this stuff, I don't know. hard for me to grasp, maybe i'm slow...lol

I don't have a laptop & my "Smartphone" is a pos...so probably best thing for me to do is to work on it on my desktop, then put it on a cd/usb key & then go to ups (like 1/2 mile down the road) to print it off (i don't have a printer)...then just use the print outs to use as reference when I put it in the superchips.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you start playing around with the graphs on Excel it slowly becomes clear to how this works but you can't be shy when playing with the numbers, it helps you to understand.

An example is when looking a an upshift on a graph and it's corrisponding downshift, the closer the downshift is to the upshift the less lag there will be in the pedal when that downshift happens. Little things like that help understand.

In the beginning before I tuned my truck I entered the stock Dodge numbers into the Excel spreadsheet and graphed them to study, I was thinking in terms of throttle position vs. MPH in my head while test driving and then relating it to the graphs. That helped a lot to understand what was going on.
Then I made mental notes of what mph and where I wanted the shifts to change for my liking and approxmentally adjusted from there. It takes time and perhaps several trys to get it right for your tastes.

Printing out the spreadsheets to imput the numbers into the Flashpaq is what most will do, that's a great idea. I've done many that way before I did the smart phone thing.

Attachments

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
I may experiment with it tomorrow. On that mcfail.net site there is only one schedule for an 07 4.7 called "2Joey", should I use that one? Do you know who submitted that one?

Or should I just use one of yours or something? Even though its a diff yr & engine? In that other thread it seemed like a lot liked your schedules.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hey Scott this is a little off topic but seeing this thread made me want to also update my tuner. The 1st time I plugged it in it would not register so after a few tries I uninstalled the updater and reinstalled it from the SC website, all went good it registered my serial# and all but is stuck on this (currently updating firmware) screen with a white box. Here are pics of what I'm talking about. Not sure what to do, should I unplug ti and start over or leave it and recheck it tomorrow? Thanks as usual. View attachment 346771

View attachment 346770 :ugh P1010004.JPG

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I may experiment with it tomorrow. On that mcfail.net site there is only one schedule for an 07 4.7 called "2Joey", should I use that one? Do you know who submitted that one?

Or should I just use one of yours or something? Even though its a diff yr & engine? In that other thread it seemed like a lot liked your schedules.
I just looked over the 07 4.7 schedule and it looks like a great place to start.
The reason you want to choose a starter schedule that matches your engine and year is those stock TP (throttle position) values as going to match or be very close to yours. Hardly any two are the same TP value wise but some are identical and some are just close.
Your own TP values are in the Flashpaq once you let the Flashpaq read your truck....after you have downloaded the advance tuning option from Superchips. It's a good idea to go into the trans tuning portion of the flashpaq and write down your stock TP numbers and then compare them to ones on the pre made shift schedules on mcfail site. Start your own spreadsheet with your own trucks TP values so and use that as a template for all your created shift schedules.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Scott this is a little off topic but seeing this thread made me want to also update my tuner. The 1st time I plugged it in it would not register so after a few tries I uninstalled the updater and reinstalled it from the SC website, all went good it registered my serial# and all but is stuck on this (currently updating firmware) screen with a white box. Here are pics of what I'm talking about. Not sure what to do, should I unplug ti and start over or leave it and recheck it tomorrow? Thanks as usual. View attachment 346771

View attachment 346770 :ugh View attachment 346772
Yeah, I've heard of this happening as of the last few days. Not sure what's going on there. Unplug for now, you didn't loose anything stock or calibration wise I'm sure, It just didn't update.
That is an issue on Superchips side for sure so call tech support tomorrow 888 227 2447 and tell them the updater is funky, not sure if they are aware of it or not. Someone posted that same thing the other day.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I am going to try that one you just posted.

But I HATE the 40-45 mph lock up/unlock that I get. It drives me nuts.

I also want to try to do something pretty different for towing. I think I'm running the stock T/H schedule right now and I like it but I'd like to improve it still. I tow heavily most of the time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow. You are the man. I used the less aggressive schedule on the site and can't seem to find what I really want my truck to do. I'd love to get a schedule from you. I will get my exact shift points and stuff tomorrow if you don't mind. 2004 hemi

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to try that one you just posted.

But I HATE the 40-45 mph lock up/unlock that I get. It drives me nuts.

I also want to try to do something pretty different for towing. I think I'm running the stock T/H schedule right now and I like it but I'd like to improve it still. I tow heavily most of the time.
The TC lockup can be tuned out. I noticed that on my truck the TC will lockup only in 4th gear around 43-45 mph. In my shift schedule if I set the mph value above 45 mph in the 0% TP, 3up, say around 48 mph I will avoid the TC lockup because it is above the value stock calibration is set at. TC lockup gone!

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
My favorite program on android for the shift schdules is "Quickoffice" its free IIRC. It does show the graphs as well as the values. I haven't tried too many custom schedules, the few I made myself were flops. I am going to try yours Scott, thanks for that.

For the updater freezing, mine does that every time. It eventually works.. it just takes 30-45 minutes usually. I called tech support.... ugh... useless as tits on a nun. So I just wait it out.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. You are the man. I used the less aggressive schedule on the site and can't seem to find what I really want my truck to do. I'd love to get a schedule from you. I will get my exact shift points and stuff tomorrow if you don't mind. 2004 hemi
I am here to help you understand how to make your own schedule that is suitable for your tastes, everyone has different likes and dislikes so my schedules may not be to your liking but often there are a great place to start.. Tweaking a schedule is part of the game and is encouraged. Post up what you're running currently and tell me what you are looking for and I can point you in the right direction with your schedule.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
113 Posts

Scott, after reading your post above concerning 3rd gear TP and TC lockup, I began wondering how the TC locks up in these, or any of the schedules. Is this how it works?

I'll pick the same gear for example, 3rd, and a TP at 13.33% and traveling at 60.73 mph as indicated in your chart. If I'm correct, I believe that the same will be true for any of the values in the shift schedule since all would work the same way.

As long as my TP stays at 13.33% and the truck is going 60.73 mph, the TC doesn't lock up. BUT, after the TP is backed down slightly, but not enough for a downshift while maintaining 60.73 mph, that's when the TC locks up?

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Scott, after reading your post above concerning 3rd gear TP and TC lockup, I began wondering how the TC locks up in these, or any of the schedules. Is this how it works?

I'll pick the same gear for example, 3rd, and a TP at 13.33% and traveling at 60.73 mph as indicated in your chart. If I'm correct, I believe that the same will be true for any of the values in the shift schedule since all would work the same way.

As long as my TP stays at 13.33% and the truck is going 60.73 mph, the TC doesn't lock up. BUT, after the TP is backed down slightly, but not enough for a downshift while maintaining 60.73 mph, that's when the TC locks up?
Even it your TP falls to 0 while in 4th you will still avoid TC lockup because 48.2 is the slowest I will be to shift into 4th gear, so I will always be ahead of the TC lockup mph. Any time I'm slower than that I will downshift in 3rd gear and I know TC won't lockup in 3rd. I havn't had my TC lockup that I have noticed using these values, so I'm fairly sure it works.
Again Im no expert, I only know how my truck reacts from driving it and I don't know how Dodge engineered the TC lockup. My experience tells me that the TC lockup only occurs in 4th gear around 43 mph so I was thinking If I can avoid that value I should avoid TC lockup in theory.
Dodge's stock numbers had 3up 0% at 30.50 mph which the slowest mph going into 4th gear so I would always run into TC lockup when I accellerated to 43 mph.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you Scott.

·
Creature Of The Wheel
8,860 Posts
Here goes...get ready..lol

You said I need to check my stock shift settings first & graph those settings out. So I went into...advanced tune>options>shift schedule & then select shift schedule. I had it on "Superchips" but changed it to "User" settings on both "Up Shift" & "Dn Shift" on that menu. Then I viewed each shift & wrote them all down on paper, "%" & "Mph".

That is the correct way to get the stock shift settings at right? Even though its still on the 91 perf tune? For now I just set it back to "Superchips" & didn't save any changes cause I need to do a little more research & graph it out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.