DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was thinking of a killer combo for my '01 5.2 RAM, ok if you buy a FIPK or whatever it's called that replaces your stock air box for a tube and such i read that you can't run a throttle body spacer at the same time so I'm was thinking about a K&N Filter in my stock air box on top of a airaid 1" TB spacer and then get some hose to run the intake to the front of the truck to the side of the radiator where the open mouth would sit just behind the grill, there's some black rubber shroud material that would be easy to cut out and hold the opening of the hose in place, my question is where would be a good place to get some hose/tubing to do this, the stock setup has that tube going straight into the fender/wheel well and it's not very flexable so I'll have to get some more, what do you guys think about this?

·
I'd rather be Geocaching
1,192 Posts
Save your money, don't buy the spacer (big waste of money). I would recommend buying an air hat and building your own CAI. I bought my air hat and S&B Pro-flow filter from www.360airintakez.com . The total for my home brew was $125.00 . One of the DT members bought K&N's cool metal air hat but it wasn't cheap. You might look around for the air-hat off of a Dakota or Durango with the 5.2/5.9.

Here are some pics of my set-up:

Heres a pic of my $65.00 CAI I built for my Dakota:

I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, and the temperature averages 105 + in the summer. Neither intake has melted, warped or caused any pinging in the summer heat. I have driven in rainstorms with zero effects also.

Bill,

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Yeah, I have heard many times that the spacer does absolutly nothing for our trucks. I would rank that right up there with the Tornado, and Jet chip!!

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
sgbofav and [)oclgeFre4k are right! spacers are a serious waste of money.

mike

·
I'd rather be Geocaching
1,192 Posts
The tubing is 3"ID black ABS available at most hardware stores. You might consider buying some insulation from http://www.jcwhitney.com/catsubpic.jhtml?CATID=3033 and wrapping the entire intake to really insulate it. The rubber coupling between the air hat and intake tube on the Ram is called a 3" fernco coupling.

Bill,

·
CHROME
954 Posts
I think Ramman has something like that I'll see if he can send ya a pic. If you cut the rubber keep in mind where they hit it. I have a K&N, I removed the rubber and used it as a template to cut a screen in its place. I have 0 bugs in my filter and a few thousand on that screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Or you could....

Try something like this: I took off the hard plastic hose installed a K&N and went to Home Depot and got some dryer vent hose and used it to duct air to TB. Was a trick to get hose over air box but with a little work and patentince worked out. Also put some regular screen over the intake end at grill to keep out critters etc. Oh ya youll see some screen over the rad thats to keep the pesky bugs from cloging it up too.

Attachments

·
I'd rather be Geocaching
1,192 Posts
djh3_88,

Good work! I'm considering switching back to the stock box on my Dakota so I can run Amsoil's two stage oiled foam air filter. I plan on fabbing up a tube similar to yours to direct the outside air into the box. I need the Amsoil filter along with their dual oil filter set-up to qualify for the Trigard plan. With this plan all you do is change oil filters and send in oil samples for analysis at prescribed intervals.

Heres a pic of the dual filter set-up.

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/index.htm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Easy wasn't it

I knew if I did it it couldnt be to hard. lol I dont understand these induction kits that have you take off the stok box and put the conical filter that draws all the under hood hot air ????? Just dont make good sense. On my Dakota when I had it I bent the rubber piece on the drivers right outa the way to let cold air at least have a chance to get back to intake point of box.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I Highly recommend going with something similar to RAMMANs set-up. Used A Durango air hat, matched to the dryer tubing vent. After the first pass with this, I blew it apart ... to shreads! That M1 flow GreaT!!!!And that was with the stock Throttle body. So if you have a few mods, your going to need to forcefeed your engine with as much cold air as you can get!! All my 14.7 passes have been made with open throttle body.(pulling hot motor air, so when I get the dual snokel kit, should drop ET 1-2 tenths......
...Getting ready for the 3000 stall converter with B&M Ratchet shifter!! That should be my biggest gain in the 1/4 yet.:cool:
......That stock Converter does me no justice at ALL!! SUCKS!!! especially with slicks!
Steve

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
RAM MAN-How about a picture of the ends of your intake tubes.
Like to see how and where you mounted them.

·
CHROME
954 Posts
Re: Easy wasn't it

djh3_88 said:
I knew if I did it it couldnt be to hard. lol I dont understand these induction kits that have you take off the stok box and put the conical filter that draws all the under hood hot air ????? Just dont make good sense. On my Dakota when I had it I bent the rubber piece on the drivers right outa the way to let cold air at least have a chance to get back to intake point of box.
On the Ram I have a heat shield and on a hot day I can feel a difference in the temp,the filter is alot cooler. I also removed the rubber piece and replaced it with screen. I got my K&N about the time I found this site, hind site would be to spend the cash on the PPIII first and make a home brew CAI.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How did you know what to get?

I want the same dual air filter for my 2001 5.2 engine.

I was looking on there site and they got all different sizes. I dont want to order and get something that doesnt fit.

let me know

thanks

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.