DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gona put four lights on the roll cage and i have three on the front bumper already they are 150 watt kc day lighters. just wondering because when i turn the ones on i have on there now rpms drop a little it would be cool for some input thanks... :help:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yeppers. You'll drain your battery in a hurry with that many lights and the stock alternator. I just put 136 amp unit on my truck, plus a belt for $220. If you're going to be running ALL these lights at the same time for any kind of extended period, I'd go bigger that 136. I've seen 172, and 220's out there.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
7, 150 watt lights = 1,050 watts or 87.5 amps @ 12V, technically when the engine is running the batt has 13-14 volts so it would be between 87 and 75 amps JUST for the lights. You would be ok for a while but the engine rpms would need to be up around 2,000 rpm to produce that kind of power. When you are idling the alt can't produce that kind of power. You will eventually burn up your alternator and drain your battery.
This all depends on how many amps your alt can produce now. Do you know what yours is rated at?
I would try to get a 200amp alt at min.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well they would only be on really when im mudding bogging around. how much would a 200 amp alternator cost.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
I could only find a 136 amp for around $150. They sell kits that will boost up the power of the alts. I am still looking for that company.
Where did you get that roll bar? I've been looking for one for a long time.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Roll bars = yuck (but to each his own, and its your truck and you've got to be happy with it).

I've seen a few trucks running around with "cargo racks" typically found on Jeeps and SUV's on top of the cab. They typically have 4 or so lights attatched to the front, an axe / shovel on one side, and a hi-lift jack on the other, plus a few more rear facing lights on the back. I've even seen 1 with a full size spare tire on top (inside) the rack. Looks very much bad arse.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it from a place called truck toys down here for like $115 or something .$150 it not to bad if you find any thing else i would be willing to pay $250 is my price range just give me the web site and i will buy.. thanks agin guys

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Tough price to beat. Those baskets, cargo racks, etc usually start at $250. I've seen some as expensive as $800. And those are just basic racks. All the little attatchment points for lights, shovel, axe, hi-lift, etc cost extra.

Roll bars are good!

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'll see what else I can find under $250. Your truck is a 95 1500 correct? Which engine do you have? I know a few people at different part stores through work so I'll ask them that the biggest alt is that they can get for your truck. I just wanted to double check on the engine.
I can't find the 136amp alt anymore. But heres what I found so far.

Here is a 120 amp.
http://napaonline.com/masterpages/N...612&Description=Alternator+-+Remfd+-+Standard

120 amp
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=ATI&mfrpartnumber=15699&parttype=11&ptset=A

·
Registered
10,824 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a 450 h.p hemi i droped the 5.9 360 just didint have the power i wanted .

·
Registered
10,824 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats not to bad i could look in the couch all the chairs find some more money but i could get $369.00 lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might want to check your VIN spec sheet which you can get from the Chrysler Group Customer Assistance Center. My Dodge came equipted with the 136 AMP Alternator (BAZP) from the factory.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
flameon4x4 said:
i have a 450 h.p hemi i droped the 5.9 360 just didn't have the power i wanted .
What year of truck did that engine come out of, or is it a crate engine? Did that engine come with an alternator or are you using the same brackets that your 5.9 had?
The hemi is probably a totally different set up so all of those alternators might not even work without modification.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it was a crate engine but it did not have a alternator so i used the stock one and it worked just fine i gusse all mopar lines up

·
Registered
607 Posts
Be a little careful with the very high current rated alternators, there's only so much that can be achieved with a given frame size on alternators, and usually higher peak output comes at the expense of output at low speed. There's a speed at which the alternator produces no usable output, the curve then rises fairly steeply up to around 90% at maybe 50% full speed, and rises to full output at near maximum speed. The zero amp speed is usually well below the idle speed, but is brought higher by rewinding for lower stator resistance (needed for higher peak output), meaning that the idle output can suffer. If you need significant loads at idle, about the only thing you can do is install a larger frame alternator or a dual install.
Don't worry about engine speed dropping a little as the alternator is loaded up, it should recover, what is to be avoided is the output voltage falling, that's the indication that the alternator has reached its limit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QCram how the hell do you put in a dual alternator and about how much do you think it would cost??????????????

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've not seen a setup for Dodges, you can get custom brackets for Fords and Chevys that hang the extra alternator out to one side with an extra long belt, but looking at the Dodge belt layout, that's going to require a new bracket probably with an extra idler to position it out on the passenger side. Probably not a cheap option. The alternate is to replace the AC compressor, probably easier in this case.
Here's the first link I found on Google, the mentioned source Dave's DC doesn't list anything Mopar.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.