DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is a project that has been about 3 years in the making. When I started trying to mod my own throttle body to get a 52mm version using the stock core, I screwed up about 4 TB's. Every time I came upon a setback, I just shelved the project until I thought of something that could make the process work. Dodgepickup has an awesome thread on modding TB's, and after reading his thread, I think I have the equation all balanced out.

Here is his thread, http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258354 - I couldn't have done this without it!

I started by turning my drill press into an endmill (slide vise, rotary table), but that didn't get me to the perfect bore that I was looking for. I borrowed dodgepickup's idea of using a brake cylinder hone, and that cleared up that problem. The next issue was developing the ability to cut my own valves so that i could get a better fit, and adjust the size of the blade to fit the bore. I didn't want to buy blades, so again I turned back to the versitile drill press and rotary tool.

Here is a pic of the setup.
IMG_1417.JPG

basically, I attached my dremel vertically in a vise, and clamped that vise down in the cross slide vise so that I could control the cuts.

after that, I had to figure out how to chuck up the raw aluminum into the drill press. solved that with some random bolts from the garage and some JB weld.

IMG_1418.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG

got it set up and spinning, and marked my rough cut mark

IMG_1425.JPG

after its cut down to size, you can finish it off with some sandpaper while its spinning.

IMG_1429.JPG

when the size is right, heat it up with a torch and the JB will let go easily.
If you read dodgepickup's thread, you can see how i finished up. never though of valve lapping compound!!! don't have anymore pics, but heres a couple videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK3Y73BbgVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbFpV7A4nrs

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow... what kind of RPM did you have the drill press set at? Seems like a lot of work to save $12 unless you are shooting for a size other than 26mm blades.

I applaud your effort and ingenuity. :rck:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
press was at 610rpm, dremel a couple clicks up from low.

not really a lot of work. just lots of time in between. didnt spend a dime on anything, cause this is all in my garage n e ways. the stock blades are 50mm. i wanted 52-53mm, maybe something in between even. also don't want to wait around waiting on the mail.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
to clam down the stock, & use a hole saw w/o the center pilot in the press works to. iirc the 2 1/8th has a fall out of 52mil.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've did this method a few times. Works pretty well as long as your press doesn't have any run-out.
yep, that's what i was doing a couple years ago. not a perfect circle though. the last batch i cut with the drill press was round to .01mm - much cleaner then the hole saw method.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
ingenuity at its best ....thinking out side the box and not reaching for the wallet(guilty as charged)....would have never of thought of jbweld and a bolt....thats awsome....i tried something like that with a vice n drill motor but couldnt keep the blade centered....hole saw works ok but guilty as charged i got some blades from jbt.....how thick of aluminum sheet have you tried/used?....

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
here's another use for the epoxy....fill in the iac port to cut down on turbulance created by the huge iac opening...... then you can adjust the size of the hole to compensate for the blades letting alittle to much passed if need be...here's cpl pic's

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ingenuity at its best ....thinking out side the box and not reaching for the wallet(guilty as charged)....would have never of thought of jbweld and a bolt....thats awsome....i tried something like that with a vice n drill motor but couldnt keep the blade centered....hole saw works ok but guilty as charged i got some blades from jbt.....how thick of aluminum sheet have you tried/used?....
im using some t6061 (i think) that is the same gauge as the stock blades. got it outta the scrap metal dumpster outside of the airframes shop from my navy days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.