DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im going to do my own shocks. just replacing the crappy stockers. the bumpsteer is pi$$in me off. definatly front and good chance rear. any special tools needed? i got a good floor jack and some cinder blocks if i cant borrow the stands from my buddy.

thanks in advance

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, im putting in monroe reflex

· Registered
522 Posts
All you need really is regular hand tools and some beer to drink when you are done.

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check and check. what time frame to do all 4 ya think?

· Registered
522 Posts
Depends on if you have fast hands or are slow.....I would say about 3hrs with jacking up the truck and what not.

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
Mine took about 15 minutes per wheel and I did not even have to jack it up. I just turned the front wheels one way then the other for easier access. The rears were a bit harder because I had just installed wheel well liners a few days before that and it just made getting at the top bolts a bit more of a PIA - no big deal though.

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't know about the monroe but lots of people re-use the stock bushings and sleeves for Bilsteins.

It may be tough to compress the shocks to install, expecially for the rear.

I would recommend to do both front & rear. I did rear only for my old '03. No issue but wanted a bit more firmness for the front.
Now I have front only for my '04. You can tell you need rear, especially when you come to stop. The rear just extend too soon, and front getting all the weight transfered. It would wear the front shock soon.

This is how I cut corner.......for a shackle installation but did the same for '03 rear shocks.

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have to compress? i thought to raise it a little

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I don't think you have to coompress for the front.
I had to for the rear after I put the upper bolt even I had them up 'til the rear wheels barely touch the ground.

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
The monroes have a nylon strap that holds them compressed. I mounted the top part of the shock, then got the lower bolt ready and cut the strap with wire cutters. Then as it expanded I aligned it with the hole and quickly pushed the bolt in. Even if you miss it the first time it is not impossible to compress it again.

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys, before i go let me hijack my own thread........ wheel spacers....what is the best brand? or bad for the joints? id like 3/4 to 1 inch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.