DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct procedure to set the distributor position on the 5.9L. I changed mine (cap screws both snapped off) and my marks went away when I traded in the core (ooough). I lined it up best I could, but I have some major hesitation now.

From what I have read, I need to get the motor to TDC No.1, and turn the distributor so the rotor points to the No.1 spark plug wire. Is that correct or do I need to put the motor on a scanner?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
the disty is dropped in on TDC. the rotor position should point to the cam sensor position #1. IMPORTANT! not exactly the wire #1. the ears on the disty should be relative in position to a 3:15/9:15 on the clock. then take it to a snap-on mt2500 pcm scanner or the dealership drbIII scanner. the idle should be shimmed up the 1000-1200 rpm, turn the disty, and set at an average zero- +1 if the truck is stock. timing chain slap will drive you nutZ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning it threw a P1391 code which must be related to the cam position sensor being misaligned (see below). I will reposition the distributor as soon as it warms up this morning.

Anyone have access the mt2500 or drbIII scanner tools here is MA/S.NH?

On a more positive note, the reason I switched the distributor cap is the engine would note start on cold damp mornings (like today) and it did start OK. Won't know for certain if the fix is 100% until it snows overnight, that is when the problem always happened last year.

"P1391 - Chrysler Type Powertrain - Manufacturer Controlled DTC - Manufacturer Controlled
Description CMP or CKP Sensor Signal Intermittent Conditions

Cause Engine runtime over 7 seconds, then the PCM detected that the Actual CMP level disagreed with the Expected CMP sensor signal level. Refer to code repair chart in other manuals or media to test CKP/CMP circuits, mounting hardware and operation."

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Adjusted the distributor position and the truck is running very good. Looking for a scan tool to make the final adjustments. Trying not to go to the dealer if I can help it. Anyway running good!!!

Here is a link to my over the engine platform that made this possible.

link to photo

·
Chuck Blake
258 Posts
I like it.:rck::rck::rck:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
cant be done correctly by ear!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cant be done correctly by ear!
I didn't do it by ear, I did it by eye. Had to steal my wife compact mirror to see the TDC alignment mark!!!

I will eventually get it on a scanner, but not at stealership rates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.