DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming this is a bad thing...

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L gas

I've been dealing with a crap ton of issues. Recently replaced the timing chain, PCM, ignition coil, distributor with cam sensor (pickup coil), cap/rotor/plugs, crankshaft position sensor, and found that my upstream O2 sensor was completely disconnected.

I got codes P0430 (crank position sensor) and P1391 (crank/cam sensor disagreement).

Main issue right now is an intermittent crank-no-start (no spark) issue. Happens for a while and then goes away for a while... I get 15-20 perfect starts and it drives great, then suddenly no spark for a bunch of tries, then after 5-30 tries it starts.

Figured it was the pickup coil (cam sensor) under the distributor cap, but when I got up there I noticed that the distributor cap rotated freely in my hand... back and forth at least 20 degrees or more... as far as the plug wires will allow.

Should that cap rotate like that??? Would that rotation cause those codes and the intermittent crank-no-start (no spark) problem? What is supposed to hold it from rotating? And does it have to be in an extremely specific position to tighten it down, or is visually centering it sufficient?

Sorry... lots of questions all at once...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I broke the timing gear on a 318 by putting the wrong water pump bolt in. It was too long and it went into the gear and broke it off. I could crank the engine but the rotor on the distributer just sat there. I was terrified I was going have to pull the engine back out. I doubt I would be able to spin the rotor by hand because you would also have to turn the cam and I don't think you could do that. Even with a broken timing gear. Maybe the shear pin on the rotor gear broke on the distributer itself. I have no idea how you would be able to retrieve the gear sitting down on the cam. Maybe drop a magnet down on a wire?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you felt the distributer clamp that sits on the bottom of the base, then the square part that comes of side of cap should be facing directly to back of intake to get somewhat in time, then use a voltmeter to probe like the brown wire (on mine) until you turn the cap till 5 volt reference, distributer doesn’t control timing, it controls fuel injectors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even the voltmeter you can’t possible get that perfect, when all said and done, truck will have to have a mt2500 or up snap on scanner to be able to fully set fuel sync. If it’s any off it’s gonna run so terrible you won’t even want to drive it, + 2 when you have the snap on scanner For a lil extra power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts