DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I was coming home from the store. There was a truck riding in the lane right next to me. About 1/2 mile ahead there was a car in my lane so I decided to give her hell to get in front of the truck beside me. Well as soon as I floored it, so did the guy next to me. I didn't notice what kind of truck it was at first except for it was about the same size as mine. My first thoughts were "good luck buddy, I got a hemi" not saying my truck is all that fast, but it is faster than most other bigger trucks like mine. We were both keeping dead even then towards the end, I got about a hood ahead of him....then we both had to slow down because of traffic. I was really disappointed because I had put my Vararam on about 400 miles ago plus I have a custom exhaust. I thought that I should have pulled harder on him for sure. But, as I slowed down for my turn, the truck passed me and I saw what it was. It was a Chevy Silverado SS. I was impressed with my truck at that point cuz I know that those trucks are pretty quick.

·
Registered
227 Posts
good job those chevys are quick how fast were you going when you stepped on it?

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
In the later years they dropped the AWD to keep the weight down. It could have been either.

·
Registered
994 Posts
A new SS, or one of the old ones? The old SS had a 454 big block stuffed in it... You might hate Chevy, but that is a cool ride...

·
Registered
114 Posts
And, you've stumbled upon one of the most painful facets of modifying a vehicle; There's always someone faster.
Way back in the early 70's I had a Cuda with a 440 six pack. They where affordable then to any guy with a steady pay check and an understanding insurance agent. I did a few mods to what was already an incredible platform, such as headers and better rubber.
The car had few legitimate threats on the street, even in the hey-day of street muscle cars. But there's always someone faster. And when your baby gets clearly stuffed in front of a large group of people, it's most certainly humbling.

If you want to bang on the street, and not get your feelings hurt, know the competition and choose your challenges wisely.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And, you've stumbled upon one of the most painful facets of modifying a vehicle; There's always someone faster.
Way back in the early 70's I had a Cuda with a 440 six pack. They where affordable then to any guy with a steady pay check and an understanding insurance agent. I did a few mods to what was already an incredible platform, such as headers and better rubber.
The car had few legitimate threats on the street, even in the hey-day of street muscle cars. But there's always someone faster. And when your baby gets clearly stuffed in front of a large group of people, it's most certainly humbling.

If you want to bang on the street, and not get your feelings hurt, know the competition and choose your challenges wisely.
This is most deffinitely true. I am not a racer in my truck by any means, I leave the racing for my project cars. I had (be prepared to make fun of me) a dodge neon SRT-4 as one of my previous project cars.....yes....it's just a neon...but it was fast as hell. I modded the hell out of her and got her up to 421whp. There were very few cars, including the big dogs, that could beat me from the jump or on the top end. (it topped out at around 173mph) But, on that rare occasion that I did get beat, it amazingly didn't upset me. I had a lot of respect for the other person and their amazing machine.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Do they make the SS in the current gen?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
The silverado ss was tested against the ram hemi back in 03 and the silverado just edged out the ram in acceleration. I belive the ram ran a 15.1 1/4(2wd) and the silverado ran a 15.0
Basically dead heat on acceleration but he may have had more done to his. Geez those things with a cai, exhaust and tune probably gain as much as our trucks with a cam. Good story!

·
Registered
630 Posts
was this a newer SS?

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Falcon, how do you like your vararam

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I know that there is a newer SS concept... it looks downright mean. Check it out on youtube....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.