DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, my 35" x-terrains are directional, and since i can't rotate them like normal tires they are starting to wear really bad and unevenly. These things are so loud and bumpy and vibrate everything so bad that I turned my front two around backwards (they were the worst ones) so they would wear a little bit in the opposite direction. I did this about 700 miles ago and they are riding better and quieter, but is there any reason I shouldnt do that??

Thanks guys

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Generally directional tires tread design is made to grip in one direction, with the way the tread blocks are shaped/designed.
It may be riding better now since they were screwed up, but they would obviously ride better if they didnt have wear.
Might want to find the cause of the wear and have it fixed, as generally tires dont wear funky unless there's something wrong in the suspension....

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adamsredlines said:
Generally directional tires tread design is made to grip in one direction, with the way the tread blocks are shaped/designed.
It may be riding better now since they were screwed up, but they would obviously ride better if they didnt have wear.
Might want to find the cause of the wear and have it fixed, as generally tires dont wear funky unless there's something wrong in the suspension....
well, there not exactly your every day tire. Just like superswampers and what not they just get loud and vibrate and roar and you can't really even it out since these can only go one way. I hope thats just the cause and its not suspension related

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
I'm not experienced with swampers, but in general uneven treadwear is suspension related. Whether it be a bad shock, alignment, balljoing, or maybe impropper inflation...
I know swampers are loud, but it seems that if setup properly, they would wear evenly like any other tire.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I know that off-roaders commonly put the tires on backwards for better grip and traction. My assumption is that the arrow like profile is for water to be pushed away from the front of the tire to prevent hydro planing. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
you can unmount all 4 tires and have them mounted on the oposite side, this way it will work like a normal rotation, the cons well you will have to pay again for mount and balance...

·
15,912 Posts
kmu said:
you can unmount all 4 tires and have them mounted on the oposite side, this way it will work like a normal rotation, the cons well you will have to pay again for mount and balance...
What he said!!

While they have the tires off you should have them look into why they are wearing unevenly. Like Adam said....tires will not wear unevenly under normal conditions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've also heard/seen people mounting directional tires on backwards for better gripping. I've also heard that the X-terrains just wear really crappy.

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigramman03 said:
I've also heard/seen people mounting directional tires on backwards for better gripping. I've also heard that the X-terrains just wear really crappy.
im gonna have to agree with them.

its not that they arent wearing evenly, maybe that was bad word choice, because they seem to be wearing fine from looking at them. Its just that they hum and roar and vibrate to the point that all of my dash components and headliner and everything rattles to the point i get headaches :VHOT: I guess thats what i get for putting x-terrains on a truck that is on the street 98% of its life

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sca said:
I know that off-roaders commonly put the tires on backwards for better grip and traction. My assumption is that the arrow like profile is for water to be pushed away from the front of the tire to prevent hydro planing. :dunno:
thats the only thing i could think of, and i have ridden them a bit in some good rains and havent hydroplaned yet.. knock on wood

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
JeffB2002 said:
What he said!!

While they have the tires off you should have them look into why they are wearing unevenly. Like Adam said....tires will not wear unevenly under normal conditions.
X3

Also, have balance beads put into the tires. I'v never done it but it's how the highway trucks balance there tires and there are a few people on here that have them also..just cant remember who.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts