DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Better MPG than my boat!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Durango that I use for heavy hauling and some towing. It now has 17,000 miles. I had my differentials flushed and refilled, by the dealer, because the manual says its recommended at 15,000. Under normal use they suggest 30,000 miles. This is something I prefer not to do myself. They did use synthetic oil 75-140. Everything looks and feels fine.
Did I mention they also flushed my wallet $275+tax= $298
Oh well. :YO:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why is it recommended on the D to change diff fluid so often if they use syntetic fluid? I have asked a guy who is in the business of oils and he said it was strage because most of the top spec syntetic fluids were capable of almost 100 thousand miles with no need to change them (because unlike trannys this fluid works almost in a sealed environment...)

·
Better MPG than my boat!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you. Next one will be at 30,000 mi intervals. I just don't want the dealer not covering a waranted axle or whatever repair, because the differentials were never flushed. It took less than 2 hours and hopefully it was done right. Like you said, some guys never change theirs. :wedgie:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I talked to a trans shop. and the the fluid really doesn't need to be changed until around 60k to 75 k

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always take mine to Firestone when theres something I don't want to do myself... like the diff. They charged 89.99 each due to the synthetic needed. Normally it's 69.99 for regular.

·
Better MPG than my boat!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally agree, men. I just want to follow the recommended service schedule. The dealer also calls this a "flush", besides the money flushed from my wallet, do they really do anything special? :spank2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
No they just either open the diffs or open the filling hole and pump out the old fluid and pump in the new. i guess either way the open the filling hole.

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
I agree with flushing the fluid initially @ 10,000 miles. The gears go through hell, especially during the break-in period. $300 is steep but well spent. After that I'd change it every 60-75,000 or every 40k if you pull a lot. at least that's the schedule I go with.

did they use the same synthetic oil and weight for both diffs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is no "flush" involved. A "flush" would be draining the fluid, running new fluid thru the system and back out then re-servicing. The dealership simply sucks out the old fluid with a tool and re-services with new fluid. While this is giving you new fluids in your diffs, where do you think all the metal flakes and gunk sits after re-service? It is still sitting at the bottom of your diff like syrup with metal flakes in it. Thats why I HIGHLY suggest pulling your covers off, cleaning that stuff out and then reservicing. And like ragoneer said, the intial break in period on your diffs, tranny and engine produce a good amount of metal shavings. Ever wonder why almost all the drain plugs on your vehicle are magnetic? Just the opinion of a mechanic though.

·
Better MPG than my boat!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its hard to tell reading the bill. They used 2 units of 75-140 @ $74.95 each. They also used 2 units of "Fluid AUT 1081018" @$10.74 each. Total parts $172.00. 1 hour labor $99.00. Total bill $275 :huh:

·
Power Aficionado
1,823 Posts
I pullthe covers on mine. Scrape outthe debris and actually rinse it with new oil. Close it up and fill.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Bigboy:

Agreed that servicing the diffs is a valid requirement. My 01 manual says that 15k is for severe service, and 30k for normal.

I rarely tow, and when it is 1500# or less for short stints.

I have done the diffs on mine at 30k and 60k. Just turned over 78k. The first round was Mobil 1 which looked as good as it did at 60k coming out as it did at 30k going in. Should have left it, but I too was satisfying my extended warranty.

Went in with Royal Purple at 60k, and so far so good. Warranty is expired, so if it looks good at 90k I'll let her run a bit more.

One thing is for sure though. Both Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are no more than $15 a quart, and it only takes about 2.5 to do both.

I think I would find another dealer, and/or DIY from now on.

Don

·
Better MPG than my boat!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will do it myself next time. I will log all the details, mileage, date and oil type for my records. Nobody likes getting overcharged. No wonder everybody calls them the "stealer". :dtrocks:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know the service manual requires changing oil every 15 thousand miles, and I am not suggesting not doing what it says...
it's just that I am curious about why Dodge recommends this, when other manufacturers don't ever do it, or they do it in much prolonged intervals (100k miles or so). And my doubt comes because in the case of non synthetic fluids, I would understad they have to be changed periodically, but with the modern synthetic fluids (and that's what mopar recomends) it's kinda rare to change it so often.... I also would think dodge has important experience on trucks and I haven't heard about problems with their diffs, on the opossite I'd think this is one of the best brands...

Could it be that the "synthetic" Dodge is using is not a "top notch" fluid and a kind of intermediate synthetic?
Or is it something special about Chrysler diffs that get the fluid to get dirty (because unlike gearboxes diffs are sealed, so fluid does not get dirty) like they have breathers or something?
Or could it be this is a way to give some food to the dealers being that this vehicle is so good otherwise would not step frequently into the dealers? :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Bigboy,

Dont feel too bad.. we had our 05 Durango front and rear flushed at 30,000 miles at our local tranny shop. He discovered a rear pinion leak and replaced the seal. Cost $400 total. Just learned I probably could have had the work done under warranty. Now something is whining under the vehicle too. This time a trip to the dealer is in order. Get something from the powertrain warranty I hope.
They will probably tell me the warranty is void because I had the vehicle serviced.

LOL

ftino
05 Durango SLT Hemi

·
Better MPG than my boat!
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Ftino,

My brother had that same leak on his 05 Durango. Hope its ok now!

Bigboy :gimp: :giveup: :pDT_git: :nutkick:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dealership informed me at my last service that my differentials needed servicing i asked the cost and was quoted 489.00 which i thought was so overpriced,looking around to find someone cheaper any suggestions

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.