DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, newbie to this forum. I found it while searching but looks like a great source of information. As for my question:

My Dad's 05 Ram 1500 has a whining sound coming from the rear somewhere. First thought was the U-joint but lubricating that didn't make any difference. It sounds like a pencil rolling across a table but a deeper tone and obviously much louder.

We opened up the rear and there were some metal shavings in the oil but all the gears appeared to be in good shape. Replaced the oil and buttoned her up and the sound got quieter but still exists.

Any thoughts on what to check next? How can we get this to go away completely and roll silent again? Thanks for the help, looking forward to contribute to this forum :)

Note: After doing some research on here it appears that this sound may be from the pinion bearings? If this happens to be the case, what kind of repair costs would we be looking at with a truck that is no longer under warranty?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hey everyone, newbie to this forum. I found it while searching but looks like a great source of information. As for my question:

My Dad's 05 Ram 1500 has a whining sound coming from the rear somewhere. First thought was the U-joint but lubricating that didn't make any difference. It sounds like a pencil rolling across a table but a deeper tone and obviously much louder.

We opened up the rear and there were some metal shavings in the oil but all the gears appeared to be in good shape. Replaced the oil and buttoned her up and the sound got quieter but still exists.

Any thoughts on what to check next? How can we get this to go away completely and roll silent again? Thanks for the help, looking forward to contribute to this forum :)

Note: After doing some research on here it appears that this sound may be from the pinion bearings? If this happens to be the case, what kind of repair costs would we be looking at with a truck that is no longer under warranty?
You're looking at $800-$1000 in total costs to replace the inner and outer pinion bearings. Might as well change the carrier bearings while you have everything apart - yes the entire differential has to come apart to R&R the pinion bearings. On mine, a local shop replaced the pinion bearings (found the inner one cocked at an angle on the race) and didn't replace the carrier bearings. A month later the carrier bearing were screaming and it was another $350 to replace them. :mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch, thanks for the heads up on the carrier bearings.

So with your experience with having to replace those bearings, would you feel confident saying that's what would be causing the whining sound?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Depending on "where" the noise is coming from. It took the shop I went to three days to definitively find the source of the noise (they were busy at the time). You may have a bad hub (wheel) bearing as well. Make sure it isn't one of those before having the differential torn apart. The problem is sound can "travel" very funny at times.

In my case they finally found it by using a stethoscope with a stick on the end of it, placing the end on various points of the drivetrain (truck was up on a lift) and listening for the "growl/whine".

·
Registered
550 Posts
I recently had the same problem but my spider gears were cracked soooooooo, I rebuilt the whole rearend with 4.56 US Gears, a Detroit True Trac LSD and Master install kit. She runs a whole lot better now. BTW, $1564 for parts, installation and a 12mo/12000 mile warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.