Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
yup- I agree

·
Registered
557 Posts
The only meaningfull diff between those two is the ohm rating... one is dual 2ohm & the other dual 4ohm... this will play an important part when matching an amplifier to them as one or the other wil allow you to get the most power from the amp.

The box recommendations are so close to each other that they are not likely to give any response difference & the sensitivity rating might as well be identical...

·
Registered
557 Posts
You have a link to that amp? I'm not familiar with it & would need to see the specs...

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
557 Posts
It looks like with that amp, as long as you stay within 1-4ohm final load you will get max power... nice feature that only JL offer till recently.

So I guess you can get either sub...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Doesn't matter... there is no advantage in either ohm config... you are looking at the same sub with diff ohm ratings... All other Thiele/Small data will likely be virtually identical

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
racer raul said:
Doesn't matter... there is no advantage in either ohm config... you are looking at the same sub with diff ohm ratings... All other Thiele/Small data will likely be virtually identical
PHP:

It does matter! If you wire the subs up and get a final ohm below 1 ohm you will damage your amp! The amp you chose is 1 ohm stable. That means that you can't go below 1 ohm. If buy the 2 ohm subs and wire them in parallel then you amp will see 0.5 ohms NOT GOOD! But all this comes into play on which subs you choose and how you are going to wire them. If it was me I would try to wire the subs so that the amp will give you max power. So I would go with the 4 ohm subs. I didn't look at the RMS watts of the subs or amp, but you want to try to match the RMS power of the amp and subs as close as you can. Here is a link that shows DVC subwoofers wired in different configurations.

www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#2dvcpp

·
Registered
557 Posts
mullinax05 said:
PHP:

It does matter! If you wire the subs up and get a final ohm below 1 ohm you will damage your amp! The amp you chose is 1 ohm stable. That means that you can't go below 1 ohm. If buy the 2 ohm subs and wire them in parallel then you amp will see 0.5 ohms NOT GOOD! But all this comes into play on which subs you choose and how you are going to wire them. If it was me I would try to wire the subs so that the amp will give you max power. So I would go with the 4 ohm subs. I didn't look at the RMS watts of the subs or amp, but you want to try to match the RMS power of the amp and subs as close as you can. Here is a link that shows DVC subwoofers wire in different configurations.

www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/#2dvcpp
Hey buddy... be sure to read all the posts in the thread.

racerraul said:
The only meaningfull diff between those two is the ohm rating... one is dual 2ohm & the other dual 4ohm... this will play an important part when matching an amplifier to them as one or the other wil allow you to get the most power from the amp.

The box recommendations are so close to each other that they are not likely to give any response difference & the sensitivity rating might as well be identical...
My post after checking out the amp he is getting...

racerraul said:
It looks like with that amp, as long as you stay within 1-4ohm final load you will get max power... nice feature that only JL offer till recently.

So I guess you can get either sub...
You clearly took my post OUT of context... ;)

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
All I'm saying is that if you don't be careful and wire the 2 ohms subs in parallel that you will damage the amp. It will equal 0.5 ohms that the amp will see and that is not good! Because the amp is only 1 to 4 ohm stable not 0.5 to 4 ohm stable. But if the 2 ohms sub wired in the series/parallel then it should be alright.
He will fine altoghter if he gets the 4 ohm subs. Do you not understand this? It is the first thing you must consider when building an audio system.

And I'm not your buddy!!

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
PHP:
the75powerwagon said:
so, are you guys suggesting i should only get 1 amp.. or would it sound better if i got two? would it be worth the 300 for another amp?
Did you not look at the link I posted? This will show you different ways of configureing your system by wiring the subs. The problem I think you are having is when you start dealing with DVC subwoofers rather than Single Voice Coil subs is that there are more options on the wiring. Dual Voice Coils were made so that you would have more ways of laying out a system in conjuction with the amps and the subs.

No you don't need have two amps.

·
One day at a time
1,003 Posts
RMS Power: 600W x 1 @ 4 ohms
RMS Power: 600W x 1 @ 2 ohms

OK here are the specs of the amp you are looking at. Now what I find misleading is that the RMS power is the same at 2 and 4 ohms. Usually (99.9%) of the time the less ohms you run at the more power the amp will produce. For a example if I've got a amp that at 4 ohms it produces 800watts but at 1 ohm it will produce 1200 watts. Another words it never is the same power output at different ohms. Call the company and ask them why the power is the same at two different ohms, and ask them which subs would fit with the amp or vice versa. And let me know.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.