DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
My $$ goes to the Mustang
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the optional polished/chrome 2002 R/T wheel and the 2003 R/T wheel. I had one guy tell that the 2002 R/T wheel is polished and the 2003 is chrome. I have a 2002 R/T (shown below)with the optional polished wheels. They look like chrome but it becomes pretty obvious they are polsihed. Are the 2003 R/T wheels polished or chrome? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hmmmm, I thought they were all chrome or painted silver. Polished I thought was only an aftermarket option. The reason is the center cap is plastic. It will only be painted silver or chromed plastic...which is quite a bit brighter than polish. For the center cap to match the rim it would also have to be polished alum, which would mean it can't be plastic....follow???
Are you sure your rims are polished and not Chrome???

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Completely agree. The center caps are plastic, cooper plated, and then chromed. The wheel itself those really looks polished. I will have to investigate more closely. The reason I believe it is polished is because the very rough and dull areas between the spokes. Perhaps the rough area is chrome and was never preped or polished afterwards.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
tunedin302 said:
Completely agree. The center caps are plastic, cooper plated, and then chromed. The wheel itself those really looks polished. I will have to investigate more closely. The reason I believe it is polished is because the very rough and dull areas between the spokes. Perhaps the rough area is chrome and was never preped or polished afterwards.
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what you find out. I've was looking at having my R/T rims polished....but was unsure how the chrome center caps would look against the chrome.
BTW, what does the Stang run??? Do you run it on street tires or E/T's?

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hercules said:
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what you find out. I've was looking at having my R/T rims polished....but was unsure how the chrome center caps would look against the chrome.
BTW, what does the Stang run??? Do you run it on street tires or E/T's?
I'll keep you posted on the R/T wheels. The stang does okay ;) Should be in the 12s on street tires. Still have some tuning to do before I return to the track.

·
Registered
558 Posts
i always thot the rims were chromed... i saw another truck with crhome r/ts and only the front was chrome, the inside of the spokes were still silver, that kinda made me mad, is yours like that too?,

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here's a shot of my 02 Durango:

The wheels are chrome but it stops about mid way in each spoke. I will try to get some better pics this weekend.

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rar219 said:
The chrome stops midway? What? The wheels aren't all chrome?
It look like that to me. It's almost like there were electroplated or something .... the whole wheel wasn't dipped. I'll try to grab some pics so it makes more sense.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
In 03, the silver painted R/T wheels were dropped and chrome was standard. On the factory if you look in between the double spokes, the chrome does not go all the way back. Towards the rear of the wheel, they are silver. All thye factory wheels are like that for some reason. I have aftermarket chrome R/T wheels that I got in 00. They are chrome every where. That's one way to tell the factroy from the aftermarket ones.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Here's Debauch's (Hope it's OK w/him, if not, send nasty PM) :)

Question, are these centers about 2-1/4"? My billet style centers look dull w/the chrome wheelskins

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
so i would venture to say get aftermarket ones, they look better in my opinion... if its a durango, get those 20" wheels...

·
Registered
558 Posts
ummm why would smaller wheels give you better acceleration... typically when you change wheels diameters your tire diameter is still roughly the same.. that way your speedo, tranny, etc isnt that far off.... my truck has 17" wheels with 245 55, if i got 20"s i would prooly get like 245 30. the tire would be the same diamater or close to it... so the only difference would be the wieght.. same goes for 16s and15s... smaller wheel is usually bigger tire, and vice versa.

·
Registered
558 Posts
ii was just saying.... many new high performance cars come with 20" rims now... the srt ram has 22's... just making a point... in other words.. it ouwldnt make THAT big of a difference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.