DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here, im looking to buy a sport rack for my 2004 sx but the people at sportrack say they don't make one from the 2004 sx but they make one for the 2004 neon! I was under the impression that they are the same! i was told that the 2004 neon were sold in the US and the SX were sold in Canada and everything was the same except for the name, is this true?

· Registered
36,020 Posts
SX is Canadian version of the Neon, identicle to the Neon except nameplate

· Registered
36,020 Posts
There is no Neon in Canada so there will be no difference in options. The SX IS the Neon in Canada

· Registered
5 Posts
New here as of today.

I just leased for my wife a 2005 Dodge SX base.

and due to the amount of rust repair and bodywork my 1996 Ford SHO V8 needed I bought myself a 2005 SX Sport was comparing the dodge canada info and the dodge usa info. the neon SXT in the USA has equipment that is optional which on my SX is standard equipment otherwise same car

I wanted an SRT4 but they could not find a new one and you can not order a 2006 due to the SX/NEON/SRT4 line is now dead and being replaced in Dec 05.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys... I'm new here as well... I have a 2005 SX and I live in edmonton. What are they replaceing the SX line with??? and I also wanted to know if there was anyone else from edmonton here??

· Registered
36,020 Posts
The Neon is being replaced by the Caliber

· Registered
2,430 Posts
Yeah i agree... dodge had a good thing with the SRT-4... i wish theyd pull their heads out of their a$$es and ditch the caliber, keep the neon.

· Registered
493 Posts
The Caliber is not a replacement for the Neon any more than the Neon was a replacement for the Spirit, or the Colt, or the Omni, or the Charger. Even less so since the Neon shares parts with all of those cars... The Neon has outlived its useful life and the line is ending. The Caliber is not based on the same chassis. It does not share any parts. It does not have a remotely similar engine. It is a completely new car. It barely becomes the cheapest car, beating the PT Cruiser by a couple hundred bucks, and the PTC has more in common with the Neon than the Caliber does.

For those who haven't been keeping up, you can now head to the Dodge site and build your own Caliber...

(These numbers are directly from the Dodge site, don't shoot the messenger...) The base model and SXT will come standard with a 140HP/124 ft-lb 1.8L DOHC, with an optional 150 HP/135 ft-lb 2.0L DOHC or a 2.0L DOHC turbo diesel (specs?... supposed to have more power than the 2.4L). The R/T has either a 134 HP/229 ft-lb (no that's not a typo) 2.4L DOHC or the $5k+ optional 2.0L turbo diesel. I realize all the reports say the diesel was only going to be available in Europe. This is from the Dodge site. Maybe they're catching on that we aren't all executives making plenty of money to put $3.00 a gallon gas in our 12 mpg cars? And I realize the anticipation was that the 2.4L DOHC would have more like 170 HP. Dunno on that one, probably a typo on Dodge's part...

If you get the FWD, you have the option of a 5-speed, a 4-speed auto, a CVT, or a CVT with a paddle shift feature. If you go with the AWD (yes, it's even available on the base model), you only get the 4-speed auto.

The base gets 15" steel wheels, the SXT gets 17's, and the R/T gets 18's.

An absolute bare-bones model (no a/c, $1000+ option) will run just shy of $14k. A yellow (more money) AWD R/T with the turbo diesel, premium sound system, AM/FM/6-disc CD/mp3/Sirius player, leather interior, removeable 60/40 rear seat, front seat mounted thorax air bags, chrome wheels, Tonneau Cover, Security Alarm, Air Filtration, reconfigurable display in the vacuum-fluorescent odometer readout, Electronic Stability Control, cig lighter and ashtray (optional for $30), Sport Appearance Package (ties the exterior paint color to the seat inserts and center stack and shifter bezels for a customized look), Trailer Tow Prep Package (includes an engine oil cooler and a trailer wiring harness, hitch is extra), Driver Cup Holder Warmer & Cooler, engine block heater, and sunroof... a little under $31,500.

· Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering... does anyone know any specific vendors in canada, specifically in edmonton, where I can redo my exhaust and intake? I was also looking into getting srt design body kit for my sx 2.0

· Registered
2,430 Posts
RadarLove said:
If you get the FWD, you have the option of a 5-speed, a 4-speed auto, a CVT, or a CVT with a paddle shift feature. If you go with the AWD (yes, it's even available on the base model), you only get the 4-speed auto.
A PADDLE SHIFT CVT??????? Why the heck would you shift a continuously variable transmission??? Please tell me thats a typo RADAR....

BTW... i realize the caliber does not share parts with the neon, but it is still its replacement, due to the fact that it is dodge's new car for the segment previously inhabited by the neon.

· Registered
493 Posts
It's targeting a different consumer group. Most people looking for a grocery-getter got the Neon (sedan) because they didnt' like wagons. The Caliber is a wagon, or mini-SUV, depending on how you look at it. It's like comparing a 300C to a Magnum... same price range, SRT-8 available, different audience. Those that want the sedan look are now "moving up" to the Stratus sedan.... or moving over to better cars like the Mazda3, Jetta, etc.

I don't see an SRT version in the Caliber's future unless DC decides to make a sedan version, which won't happen until the Stratus gets discontinued. Apparently, nobody would want a small performance wagon... (hmmmm... WRX anyone?). Besides, DC's take is that if you want performance in 2008 and beyond, you'll have to pay for the Hemi emblem. And there ain't no Hemi going in the Caliber... Expect to see the SRT-6 (Crossfire) nixed as well. I'd be surprised to see the SRT-10 Viper and/or Ram keep going.

Paddle shift CVT is correct. You can switch between economy and performance modes. Woo hoo!

· Registered
36,020 Posts
RadarLove said:
or moving over to better cars like the Mazda3, Jetta, etc.
Don't you mean moving over to crappy jap cars? :D
Lots of stupid people in this world today :(

· Registered
493 Posts
I'll take the Mazda 3s over a 2nd gen Neon (including ACR) any day of the week.

Jetta is Volkswagen, pretty sure it's not manufactured or assembled in Japan. ;)

I don't see how getting more for your money is stupid. But what do I know, I'm just a crazy *****...

· Registered
2,430 Posts
RadarLove said:
Paddle shift CVT is correct. You can switch between economy and performance modes. Woo hoo!
:thatfunny :thatfunny :thatfunny I guess if it makes them feel like they got a Ferrari, whatever... "I'm cool cuz i got a paddle shift" right? LOL. One paddle for the economy mode the other for performance mode?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.