DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Ram soon and am trying to decide between gas and diesel. I know that the diesels get better gas mileage, but recently gas prices have been much lower than diesel. I'm really just looking for some sort of guidance, I don't really have anything to tow that would require the extra power...but still like the diesels. Any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
If you plan on buying anything to tow in the future I would definately look at the CTD. Also remember, the diesel may cost more in the beginning but you will get most of that back when it comes time to trade. Diesels sell for between 5 and 7 grand more than a comparably optioned gasser.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My insurance went up $10 a month, trading from the hemi to the CTD. Not too worried about that. My payments went up by about $100 a month. But, the gas savings is well worth it. The CTD gets at least 40% more miles per gallon. It basically evens out in the end.

Both are excellent vehicles. I would congratulate you no matter which way you go. My word of advise. If you could only get 1 aftermarket part, here is what it would be:

Gas truck = get 4.56 gears ($500 installed)
Diesel truck = get programmer ($500 also)

·
Registered
254 Posts
They STILL make gas powered trucks!?!?! :rck:

:thatfunny

BG

·
Registered
597 Posts
The torque of a diesel is unmatched by a gas engine, period. That being said, there may be some situations where you would notice a substantial difference, stock to stock, power wise.

I would recommend you drive both, as many setups as you can find, and decide what you want to get, of course taking into account what you can afford.

I had someone tell me I "needed" leather seats in mine, but I personally can't stand leather.

Diesel maintenance is a little different than gas, but not substantial. It takes 12 quarts of oil instead of 6 or 7...Fuel filters need regular replacement, but at certain intervals, so do gas engines.

Find what you like, find what you want, find what you can afford - and get that.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
For the resale argument..
My 04 Hemi QC SB 4x4 With 20" wheels, lone star package ETC traded at 26,000 miles for 21,000 dollars.

My Cummins in my sig at 65,000 miles is going to trade for a little over 25,000 dollars.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...if I could have afforded a CTD when I bought my Hemi, I would have went that route...

·
Registered
89 Posts
my 89 d-350 cummins dually is the bomb. 5-speed, kicked the muffler, k&n filter less the air box. 3.55 gears. i've been pulling fifth wheel trailers up to 16000 lbs. no sweat !!! this truck has 180,000 actual miles. spent winters in florida until five years ago. then spent winters in my shop out of the salt. i will never have a gas truck again. the gobs of power in that cummins engine is the BEST. and thats just stock. my best mpg. is 27 running empty. 11-12 pulling BIG trailers. get the diesel. you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Obviously the best reason for a diesel would be the towing ability, but for you thats not an issue.

As you metioned, sometimes gas is cheaper, but for the most part, diesel is just at or below the price of regular. Gas seems to bounce around in price where as diesel typically slowly rises or lowers. And just like they said, the diesel is much more efficient.

Sure the resale on diesels are usually much more then a gasser, but if your looking to keep it, it'll last much longer then a gasser with regular maintenance. Sure it takes 12 quarts or oil, but the change intervals are nearly doubled the time gasser. I think they recommed 7000 mile changes for oil, depending on your driving habits.

Each motor has its advantages and disadvantages, make sure you get what YOU want/need. I personally will probably never buy another gas vehicle. I'm even thinking about swapping a CTD into my Jeep, but thats gunna take some work...

BTW, now is the time to buy, great deals as the 07 inventory rolls in.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Why are you looking to justify the diesel. If you want one, that's all the reason you need. We only ride this dirty ball once. Go for it if that's what you want.

I like both engines. I've owned four Cummins powered Rams and now the Hemi powered duplicate of my '03 Cummins Ram. I have no regrets. The Hemi does a fine job working all week and towing 10k lbs every chance we get. Overall cost has been about even. With the Cummins, I got 17-18mpg city, 19mpg hwy 70mph, and 10.5mpg average towing our 5th wheel 65-70mph. The Hemi duplicate gets 14mpg city, 17hwy 70mph, and 8.5 average towing the same 5th wheel 65-70mph. The Cummins mileage really shines in the city where most of my driving is. Maintenance costs with the Cummins aren't enough to worry about. Fuel filter every 15k, oil and filter every 7500miles. Filters from Genosgarage.com are very reasonable and easy to change on the Cummins. Twelve qts instead of seven isn't that big of a deal either. Overall monthly cost should be close enough to not be an issue. I bought my gas hog hard to sell Hemi Ram for a song so the loss has already been absorbed by the $9k lower price I paid for it new so the lower trade in value won't be a killer. I could go either way with my next truck.
So what color is your new Cummins powered Ram going to be?!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You will love it

Everyones different,but my 5' 120 pound wife drove one and had to have one.I told her I'd get her a power wagon,but she loves that diesel engine.She has a '05 4x4 silver quad cab 6 speed(even tho its kinda hard for her to get the clutch all the way down). With 35" pro comp tires and 4" diesel dual exhaust with 5" tips.She LOVES it... :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
One thing you have to remember is you pay 5000 or so more for the diesel up front ,so you got to xpect it to be worth more at trade in. Diesel will bring more at selling time, but if you don't tow & sell your trucks regularly you will never recoup the added expense of the diesel. I have had both , buy what you like, that is all the justification you need. If you aren't happy you will be looking soon. Been there done that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
f6ryder said:
Remember,REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS... :rck:
That reminds me of a sweet Cummins hat I saw. It said "Real Trucks Rattle" and had the blue "C" logo. :cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
King James said:
I'm looking at getting a Ram soon and am trying to decide between gas and diesel. I know that the diesels get better gas mileage, but recently gas prices have been much lower than diesel. I'm really just looking for some sort of guidance, I don't really have anything to tow that would require the extra power...but still like the diesels. Any help would be appriciated.
I tow a 5000lb boat/trailer behind my 03 3500 SRW 4X2 Auto. Truck does not know its back there. My next Cummins will be 4X4 with the new 6.7 motor. If I were you I would look for a 2500 Quad Cab 4X2. Unless you off-road a lot or pull a boat up a slippery launch ramp you really don't need a 4X4.

What's fun is the mods so you can suck the headlights out of the gassers. :rck: :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
a friend of mine has a hemi but now at 30,000 miles he has to change the spark pluge $180 at the dealer you no to keep the warranty, every 30,000 that crazy, the price is so high because you have to move the brake booster and it takes 3hr's ,oh and there is 2 trans, filter and the front and rear diffs take different fluid or at least the additive

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have owned gas trucks before. Once you own a diesel. You will not want to even ride in a gas truck let alone own one. There is something about a cummins diesel that gets thee old blood flowing quite heavy. Let's not forget about the resale value. There is no comparison between the two. With the diesel being mutch better.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Rolling up britches here...
A 5,000 lb boat? Come on, put a load on it. I'm towing 10k with a Hemi.
Spark plugs for the Hemi don't require moving the brake booster. With proper hand tools it's no harder than adjusting the valves on a 12v Cummins and easier than changing the plugs on most other V8 engines since they're on top of the heads instead of tangled in the exhaust manifolds. It's a do it yourself Sunday morning job.
What's the difference in labor for changing a pan type along with a screw on cartridge filter in the tranny? The new 6spd 68RFE will be the same behind the 6.7L Cummins. Not a problem. You will like the new tranny. The rear diff on the 1500 requires an additive for the clutches if you have LSD. On the HD trucks with the AAM axle, no additive required no different than the Cummins equipped trucks.
I've owned four Cummins powered Rams. My '03 had the dreaded driveline vibe that DC gave up on and told me not to brind the truck back. I decided to give the Hemi powered 2500 a try after studying the numbers. I have no regrets and if my next truck is another Cummins powered Ram, it won't be because the Hemi doesn't deliver as promised. If it didn't, I'd trade it this weekend. I got the Hemi powered Ram for almost $9k less than I could negotiate the price of a duplicate Cummins powered Ram down to. The loss has already been absorbed so trade in won't be a problem. They're both good engines. Very different animals but both in the top ten engine awards.
Yes the Cummins gets in your blood. They're like the Harley Davidson of pickup trucks. I can't imagine life without my Harley and I'll likely own another Cummins powered Ram. The Hemi doesn't have to be a total POS for the Cummins to be the best engine ever put in a pickup truck. The Cummins speaks for itself. As does the Hemi. Unfortunately, so does the PSD...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.