DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
member of the EH team
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy that fixes cars, mostly wrecks.

He came across an 08 2500 Diesel that needs a new body, he thinks he can get it for $3500-$5000.

Spend a weekend swapping the sheet metal from my 03 1500 and I end up with a new drivetrain for cheap.

I have already done the same with him on a 3500 dually so I know it is possible.

I am crazy not to take this opportunity right?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well its gunna have a salvage title afterwards which is gunna hurt your resale. Are you sure everything is a straight swap from 03 to 08?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
It should be, body wise as long as they're the same cab configuration. If he can snag it cheap and there's no drivetrain issues with the axles or the frame or anything (I'm assuming it's been rolled if it needs a new body) then yeah, go for it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If I remember right, about a year ago a guy swapped a 1500 cab onto a 2500 frame. I think it needed a few minor things done but nothing major. Will attempt to find the thread.

·
member of the EH team
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its gunna have a salvage title afterwards which is gunna hurt your resale. Are you sure everything is a straight swap from 03 to 08?
No plans on resale, just drive it till the next one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
why would he need a "salvage title" ???? he is using his own cab and thats where the Vin number is, we have swapped a couple cabs out on burnt trucks and the state said as long as the title matches the vin its good to go,,, NOW that said these were older trucks and wernt trying to sell them...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'll take it if you don't hahah

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
why would he need a "salvage title" ???? he is using his own cab and thats where the Vin number is, we have swapped a couple cabs out on burnt trucks and the state said as long as the title matches the vin its good to go,,, NOW that said these were older trucks and wernt trying to sell them...
Considering the other half of the truck has been in a roll over it might need one but im sure it varies from state to state. There is a hidden VIN on every vehicle(usually stamped in to the frame) and if those dont match when it comes to a legal issue it may be a problem but if you already researched it then you are good to go! My dad was an insurance adjuster for 30 years in California and he ran into issues like this when it came to stolen recoveries but its a rare occasion!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am interested in swapping a 5.9 into my 03 but if I could find a wrecked 03-5 truck I would swap my panels onto it. I am wanting out of a gas motor since the only time I really drive my truck is when I'm towing my skid steer or hauling something and would really like the reliability and strength of the desiel..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.