DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last friday my sister in law somehow didn't see my two-tone (red and white) approx 22 foot long truck and backed her 96 saturn right into it!!!!! the result... $10 part from a junkyard for her... estimated $3300 to fix my truck! thankfully her insurance will pay the full amount. i'm gonna post some pictures, i don't have a lot of body experience but for $3300 i think i am gonna try to straighten this thing out myself... do i have to take the bed off to fix this problem? any help would be great... not looking for "brand new" just so you can't tell from like 10 feet or more i guess, thanks

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Damn, that sucks. Too bad the metal is folded the way it is on the bed....not sure if that could pulled out or not. You might be looking at another bed.

That dent on the back of the cab looks like it could be pulled out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't even looked yet, but how hard is it to pull the bed off?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's not too hard. You'll need to disconnect any wiring for the rear lights. Other than that it's just bolted to the frame. You'll definitely need some help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here's the poor little truck... all taken apart! i am thinking it would be a perfect time to put in the "air bags" on the rear axle (anyone know a good brand?)... my exhaust seems to have been hit by the frame (how? you may ask... NO CLUE) Is there any way to pull the dent back out of the exhaust pipe?

Attachments

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
There is a tool you can use to undent an exhaust pipe....not sure about that far up the pipe though. Now if you cut the pipe off before the dent...then it would work. And you would have the hidden tailpipe look.

The tool I believe you can get at any autoparts store. Don't know the name...maybe...tailpipe dent undoer gizmo?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice... "tailpipe dent undoer gizmo" i called and asked for it by name... but no luck, lol thanks i'll take a look for it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Try tailpipe expander. J C Whitney has them I think. They are used for stretching one pipe to fit over another one. :gr_patrio

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
For airbags- go with the Firestone, I have'em and love'em!!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
That sucks... and even moreso because it's just a scratch on her car!

Anyhow, I see the bed is off... so I'm guessing you're getting that fixed? What about the cab?

The pipe... that's a tough one to figure out since it should be mounted to the frame... yet it's the frame that hit it. I don't think anything will get that crimp out, you'll have to cut the pipe further up. From there, either leave it (or go all the way to the muffler and just dump it) or from where you lop it off, have a new pipe bent and mounted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much different will it sound without the muffler? (in other words... would my wife kill me?)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry bubba, i am fixing the truck... waiting on a friend with a bunch of dollies from a friend... i've worked on in a little and so far it seems that i will be able to fix it without spending any money!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
And that is the way to do it!!! Now you have that nice insurance check to spend!

Nice truck by the way! Long live the 1G RAMS!!!!

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
hELL YEA... CLAIM (sorry about the caps) all the insurance and then do it yourself. I don't know what engine you have... but I don't think I'd run it without the muffler, just dump the pipe right after it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's got the CTD... i'm not really throwing any smoke yet but if i mod the thing i'll have to put a new pipe on.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Yea, I'd say dump it... I'm guessing you really haven't done much to it either since you're not smoking, so I think you'll be good like that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update

well guys i think i found a solution to the exhaust problem... i cut it off after the muffler and then cut a turndown out of the piece i had just cut off... take a look at the pics. now onto the body work... i am pretty happy with how it's going although i do have to say that i don't really like the touch up paint that you apply like nail polish, as you can see in one of the pictures, it doesn't look all that great.

Attachments

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
You'll need to bang the dents out a little more and use a some bondo to even things out.

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Doesn't look too bad from here... you've got a real clean 1st Gen.:tup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.