DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...Hope some can chime in on this....

Friend's 03 3500 CTD has been running awesome (and has been maintained well BTW). Then, right before he goes on a small trip, he dumps in some "Diesel Kleen" additive in two recommended doses, and he's on the last 1/4 tank with the dose still in there.

Everything was fine during the trip, but now that he's back home, (likely 400 miles later), he now finds the truck hard to start.

Instead of it starting immediately, it now takes a few seconds of tuning over before it starts.

What's the odds he jacked his injectors up? A local diesel performance shop near him thinks this is what got damaged, the injectors that is. He also mentioned the problem would persist and only worsen, if left alone. :bawl:

What do you think, being that was the only thing that occurred during that time frame, was the Diesel Kleen additive?

If it is the injectors, he was quoted $200/each to rebuild his, or $350 I think new/each.

Just need possible ideas here folks.. and if so...all options as it relates to getting him back to where he was.

He just spent $7500 the last 6 months on other repairs, so we're trying to take this one step at a time before blowing another 2g's on this thing...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New development. Friend now says the truck won't even fire up. Shop now tells injector(s) have failed from the likes of it.

Note: Truck has 80+k miles on it. Not sure if stock injectors or not, as he bought used with high 70's on the clock.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I run diesel kleen (power service) in every tank of fuel. So far, no failed injectors. As a matter of fact the stuff is supposed to add lubricity to help prolong the life of injectors and pumps!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback....

So, yeah, that's what we're gathering at this point, that it was a coincidence... and that the injects are toast... or at least one of them.

Anyone know if the injects need to be replaced all together, 6 at a time, or can one be done at a time? Is flow matching, etc important in diesels too? Sorry for newb q's, but diesel is not my especial'...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Has the shop done a test on the injectors? I wouldn't think that one injector would keep the truck from running.Sounds more like a lift pump gone bad to me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. No, no shop has taken the truck apart yet. He talked to the shop over the phone. Then, went back out to re-test, and now the truck won't even start, so regardless, it's going in.

Hmmm, possibly the lift pump then?

I'm sure only one failed, not all, if it is truly one of the injects.

Either way, if it goes in, and it's not the injects, they'll have to look elsewhere, and like you said, maybe the lift pump.

Anything my friend can do to analyze more before having it towed into the shop?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx moe for the feedback. What would this try and do, if he were to put some of this in his fuel tank?

In the truck's current state, should he do this (dump the marvel in), or does it still need to go to the shop for proper diagnosis?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
the mmo will give some lubracation to parts and the piston. you can even pore some down the intake while cranking or running. but not to much. i have been running it for decades never any trouble. you can run a little more than called for for short times.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got it... thanks man.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
I have been running Power Service mixed with TCW3 for years with no issues. I'm betting it's the lift pump. Sounds about right for an '03 with 80k miles.

MikeyB

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mikey, if it is the Lift Pump, and if anyone knows, what kind of options does he have?

Like brands, pricing, etc?

Can a lift pump just go out like that? Or does it have earlier symptoms before failure?

Again, sorry if the newb q's keep on coming, but I just don't have as much knowledge in the diesel category (even though I've always wanted one).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is where it will be sitting for a few days.... sadly...the truck was running so awesome....getting amazing mpg on this last trip (22.7 I think :drink:) and he just like I said pumped so much money into it as of recent... and now this......

He's having a hard time trying to figure out what to tell the wifey now about how much more he'll need to dump into her.

I feel for him....

Diesel stuff just ain't cheap is it....!? :banghead: But there sure is some amazing satisfaction each and every time you step on that "diesel" pedal. That thing puts out enormous torque in its current config!! :drivingz:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Truck is being towed as I type this to a specialty CTD shop about 45 mins from him in Fresno CA....

He hopes it's just the pump, but if it's the pump, he then dreads how much he'll have to shell out later on the injects.

He might have them pull the injects and determine if they've been replaced and or the current condition of them to quantify how much life they might have left in them? We'll see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well if it is at a shop now this may not really help. but I just had the main injection pump replaced in my 2000. It has 242000 kms (Aprox 150,000 miles) The only pre-sign of something wrong was a very slight loss of power if I put my foot down hard. If I esied into it it felt fine. then It just would not start.
If one or 2 injectors are shot the truck should run, but rough. I also did the lift pump a yr and half ago and had no idea it was gone tell we changed the fuel filter and then it would not start after.
I feel his pain. They charged me $4,800 bucks to do mine:mad: (2hrs away from my home town). My dad had his 98 done last spring he was charged $2,100 by a local guy.
Hope it does not cost him a fortune!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Mikey, if it is the Lift Pump, and if anyone knows, what kind of options does he have?

Like brands, pricing, etc?

Can a lift pump just go out like that? Or does it have earlier symptoms before failure?

Again, sorry if the newb q's keep on coming, but I just don't have as much knowledge in the diesel category (even though I've always wanted one).
There's a few options for lift pumps. FASS and Pure Flow Technologies is the most popular. I with the Pure Flow Raptor pump.

MikeyB

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the support and options and personal issues regarding your own. I'll fill him in again when he calls back.

Will let you all know what ends up happening....

I think he's seriously regretting the decision to get into this truck. He's out a thousand+ each month he owns it on avg, now being month 7 I think....and that's not including the cost of the truck.

His wife is little by little hating him over it and I'm sure she wants to light the thing up to the ground.

I sure hope the light is at the end of the tunnel sooner than later, because if he has something else come up soon, I have a feeling it's going bye bye, irregardless of how much he'll end up losing financially in this thing.

I'll let you know the next verdict... Ryan-

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
by recomending mmo iam NOT saying that other products are no good. the only product i have seen anything bad is lucas oil additive. type into google bob is the oil guy. he has an intresting oil test of lucas oil additive. he also has very large forum section. with a lot of people that realy know what they are talking about.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.