DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wander if is ok to let a diesel engine idle for an hour or more just like the trucker do it?The transmition will be ok?

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
Yea it'll be fine, but if you have the High Idle... that'd be nicer.

·
HEMIroid
53 Posts
The big trucks idle for bunk heat or A/C. They have a high idle to increase RPM's so they don't run cold, and to keep the oil moving.
I used to idle my 98 cummins 20 minutes or so on real cold mornings, but driving it slowly would heat her up better.
Seems to be a waste of fuel, idling any time over 5 minutes, and it won't affect your tranny.
But thats my 2 cents...
now I open the floor up to the first 250 people to prove me wrong!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Dont worry about the tranny it will be fine as the others have stated. Idling for 1 hr or longer is no problem. Mine idles for at least one hour a day. Read the owners manual, and it says something about not idling for long periods of time in extreme cold weather. I don't know what part of Texas you are in, so it may or may not be a factor. I am thinking of getting a Turbo saver, same thing as a turbo timer so I can let my EGT's cool down with out leaving the keys in the truck and I will idle for as long as you set it for.

Check it out:http://198.104.149.53/CoastalData/showdetl.cfm?&DID=30&Product_ID=1700&CATID=1

Carlos

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
It's not recommended to leave your truck idling for that long of a time without a high idle. It will also kill your fuel mileage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got my truck siting in the dealers garage ... Reason : Bad injectors They tall me after analyzing and testing that idling cause injector failure , the test show 30% from the total driving time. So be careful about idling this engines , I well get my truck back hopefully in 3-4 days :confused:

·
HEMIroid
53 Posts
The trucking company I work for runs all M11 cummins. Last fall I had 3 out of 6 injectors replaced, with about 500,000 km on the truck. The Co. shop was saying that when the fuel switches over to winter blend, the cummins start dropping injectors. Cummins denies this, and my Co. was stuck buying some silly number like 85 injectors.
As for idling, our trucks have a small amount of idle time, but about 4 hrs of PTO time with a higher RPM per day.
Don't know if this is any help.....
Good luck on your truck Razvy, are they still under warranty?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes Rammer it haze 32.500 mile I Had 36 Bumper 2 bumper and 100 K on the motor, But like sandtazam was saying the injectors are not covered if the fuel is contaminated . In my case was carbon build up and I well let you know as soon i have my truck back .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Carbon build up from "high" idle times is BS. It is a blanket excuse by DC to avoid warranty claims for bad injectors from the factory. I've had to have an injector replaced on my truck and it has almost 30k on it in 6 months, and 8k of that was pulling a 10k trailer. On the other hand I wouldn't idle it longer than the time it takes to cool down the turbo. All it does is waste fuel. Idling the truck to warm it up is also a waste of fuel. Fire it up, wait for the oil pressure to come up, and run it easy until the engine is up to temp. It will warm up faster and waste less fuel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what Ive read on other forums, you do NOT want to let these newer Cummin's engines idle for long periods of time (10+ minutes).

First off - these engines LOSE heat while idling, which of course is why you want to let it keep running to let the turbo cool off after a heavy pull or highway driving. Problem is, heat continues to be lost, and the engine will eventually be at a temperature that is below optimal range (or "operating temp") - at which point a lot of additional wear and tear will occur, as well as causing the injectors to foul up faster.

2nd - as said before, the ECM logs the engine idle time, and you may have problems with warranty claims if you've let the engine idle for excessive amounts of time.

If you have some reason for wanting to let the engine idle for a while, get the high-idle option enabled. I use it every morning myself help get the engine up to operating temp faster while I finish getting ready for work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just call a Dodge dealer, and explain that you'd like to have the "dealer enabled high idle" activated on your truck. Your truck must be an auto, this wont work on manual transmissions. This feature is described in the owner's manual for my '05, so you might want to refer to it.

They may charge up to an hour's worth of labor. But if they really know what they're doing, it should only really take a few minutes.

Some people might suggest that you go in and complain that the engine takes too long to warm up. At least for the 2004, a TSB was released that instructs dealers to enable the high idle option at no cost if customer complains about that, or that it takes too long for the heat to work (good luck with that argument in the summer time though!).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hey guys, since I learn something new everyday here, I found this articel online. It doesn't specifically pertain to the Cummins, but it explains what happens with excess idle without and Idle control some thing to control the idle.

Here ya go, I hope it works:http://www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/pdf/dyk168i.pdf

·
Registered
852 Posts
By the way, if I were to get the "High Idle" option, does it automatically idle at a set RPM, or do you have to do it manually? If you have to do it manually, what should the idle be set at? 1000, 1500, 2000, RPM.... Thanks.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the high idle activated on an auto tranny truck, you turn on the cruise control, hit set and the RPM will increase to about 1100. Then using the resume control on the cruise and each time you hit it the RPM will increase about 100 up to 1500. Any shifting, brake operation will turn it off. Also can be turned off be turning off the cruise.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks Majora. I was reading the manual, and it said your dealer can install this option. If you read Post #13 he said the dealer will do it for free if you ask them too. Is it just a computer flash, or an actual module? Thanks for your help....

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
i let my truck idle all the time. I sleep in it when i go to college parties. where i dont know where else to stay. I have 14k miles on it, and i have let it idle 5 hours at a time, multiple times, no problems with the injectors yet. I will ask my diesel tech about this high idle you speak of. But aslong as you dont drive like grandpa.... your injectors shouldnt get a chance to foul.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only way to get it done for free is to tell the dealer you are having the problems I described. If you flat out ask them to do it for free, there's no way. If you specifically ask for it to be done, they will look at it as an "option", and you will be charged (like I was).

·
Registered
28 Posts
DieselFreak said:
Hey guys, since I learn something new everyday here, I found this articel online. It doesn't specifically pertain to the Cummins, but it explains what happens with excess idle without and Idle control some thing to control the idle.

Here ya go, I hope it works:http://www.internationaldelivers.com/assets/pdf/dyk168i.pdf
Thanks for posting that link, very informative. Clearly it's best to minimize extended idling. Some people may argue that they do it all the time with no problem, but it's just a matter of time before things catch up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.