DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been running the Opti Lube since it came out. I use the winter formula when temps are down to 32* and less overnight (which is only about 6-8 weeks per year) and the summer formula the rest of the time. I only use about 1/2 the recommended amount. Mileage is excellent, truck is running perfectly, very quiet engine.

CD

·
Registered
76 Posts
When looking at that study you have to keep in mind it was refinery ULSD, not the ULSD we get at the pump. The ULSD we get at the pump has lubricity added into it at the terminal/tank farms.

For those who are stuck on HFRR tests as the ultimate guage of fuel here's a little some thing I found.

What is Slickdiesel® and what does it do for my engine?

Slickdiesel is a proprietary Power Service diesel fuel lubricity additive that is added to many of our products to increase the lubrication properties of diesel fuel. This increase in lubricity will increase the life of fuel pumps and injectors. The fuel pump manufacturers (Bosch, Delphi, Denso, Siemens and Stanadyne) consider fuel lubricity to be the most crucial property of diesel fuel as it relates to reduction of pump and injector wear. The Engine Manufacturer Association (EMA) has stated that, “Shortened life of engine components such as fuel injection pumps and unit injectors usually can be ascribed to a lack of fuel lubricity and hence is a concern to engine manufacturers.” Slickdiesel meets the new ASTM HFRR 520 Lubricity Specifications for the United States and the more stringent European Specification of 460 in most fuels.

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is the product of choice during the winter months due to its superior antigel formulation. Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost is to be used in the non-winter months for peak engine performance (no antigel component). Both of these products contain the Power Service proprietary Slickdiesel® lubricator that provides maximum lubricity protection to pumps and injectors against wear caused by Low or Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. Slickdiesel meets the new ASTM HFRR 520 Lubricity Specifications for the United States and the more stringent European Specification of 460 in most fuels.

I'am not affiliated with any company, just passing along information.

If taken in the right context that study is a good guage but that's all it is.

Windy

·
Registered
107 Posts
Actually it wasn't so much a study but a test of various addatives. With the method of testing and supporting information on how the test was conducted. Much like a test of motor oils using the same criteria and method in the late 70's. That specific test ranked motor oils from 1 to 75 with the results being much closer than the results above. In fact the to 15 were hardly worth mentioning the difference. The bottom two were far below the others. If you look at the numbers on the tests above you will notice the results while not all inclusive do indicate some products actually should never be used in diesel engines as they actually reduce the lubricating quality of the fuel regardless of where it comes from, fuel pump or refinery. Guagine the results is good though as long as you recognize the results will remain the same no matter where the fuel comes from as well, the effect won't change.

After having seen several reporting and recommending MMO as a great addative, I recommended they read the results of the test completed and see that MMO actually came in behing used Rotella and actually reduces Lubricating quality. I don't doubt MMO may well be a great addative for gasolines but most addatives for gasoline engines contain alcohol, not such a great thing for diesel engines. One of the people recommending MMO doesn't even own a diesel engined vehicle. His claim to fame was owning chrysler products for the past 40 plus years all gasoline engined.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually it wasn't so much a study but a test of various addatives. With the method of testing and supporting information on how the test was conducted. Much like a test of motor oils using the same criteria and method in the late 70's. That specific test ranked motor oils from 1 to 75 with the results being much closer than the results above. In fact the to 15 were hardly worth mentioning the difference. The bottom two were far below the others. If you look at the numbers on the tests above you will notice the results while not all inclusive do indicate some products actually should never be used in diesel engines as they actually reduce the lubricating quality of the fuel regardless of where it comes from, fuel pump or refinery. Guagine the results is good though as long as you recognize the results will remain the same no matter where the fuel comes from as well, the effect won't change.

After having seen several reporting and recommending MMO as a great addative, I recommended they read the results of the test completed and see that MMO actually came in behing used Rotella and actually reduces Lubricating quality. I don't doubt MMO may well be a great addative for gasolines but most addatives for gasoline engines contain alcohol, not such a great thing for diesel engines. One of the people recommending MMO doesn't even own a diesel engined vehicle. His claim to fame was owning chrysler products for the past 40 plus years all gasoline engined.

Change one part of the equation changes the outcome. A good chemist would know this. Things are not always what they appear to be and even more so when you start changing up formulas.

Just like alcohol. Everyone uses the phrase alcohol as a generic term. Most alcohols are harmful to engine conponents. I see it all the time on diesel forums, do not use anything with alcohol in it.

Well there are safe alcohols to use in diesel engines for unfreezing gelled fuel and removeing water from diesel.

If you want to run a test/study/experiment use the compounds that are going to be used in the real world.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
to: kssea yes i suffered from some bad memery, i do know that diesels and gas are NOT the same, but my brain just went south. i will be more careful before i say something anymore. i hope i havent lost to much creds. just cause i got one thing wrong doesnt mean the things i do know is wrong. note: mmo DOES recomend mmo for diesel. i have no idea of what there tests are. i plan to ask mmo what test data they have. i will be trying to use more wisdom when saying anything from now on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Moe in Whchita, Ks

Not to worry. I have made some real boner statements about my pet products or products I like to use in the past only to have the someone show me how wrong I was. I think your creds are just fine. I appologize for the tone of some of my posts, after I reread them they appear a little to strong and authoratative. A long time ago I put a lot of credence in an engine oil test that ranked 75 different brands. Penzoil and Quaker state were ranked 2 and 4 overall. However later someone pointed out that the top 73 oils were actually quite similar and the actual differences were very slight. I just thought Penzoil was the absolute only oil anyone should use until I saw the test as it should have been used. That was 1969 and now 40 years later I am a lot wiser and have a lot more experience. I analyze the results more thoroughly to see the actual differences in the results.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks
i have seen tests where the difference is so little it realy didnt matter. the latest thing is zinc in oil i got it in my head i needed as much zinc as i can get. then on this site i see the younger guys saying its realy the phosforus that harms the cat. dont worry about being strong and authorative it helps keep me honest. your cerds with me are very high. however i need to read more about the test on diesel fuel. hey that reminds me of a true story that happened to friend of mine ill try to find a place to post it, and tell you where it is. got to now

·
Registered
56 Posts
bio diesel is the way to go if you can get it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

Wal-Mart carries this. I've been running it for a couple years.
New here, but wanted to comment on this. I've been using PS and Howes for the last 3-1/2 yrs (111k) on my 05' and this stuff really quiet's the engine. Sounds like new! I've been adding PS with it to keep the injectors clean. Don't know if that really works? But fuel with a HFRR rating in the 400's does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
to : kssea. i went to mmo web site and found that they have a fuel additive just for diesels. i dont know any thing about it, but if you checked the msds you might get some ideas as to it may be a good thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I second the bio diesel I allways run B-5 OR B-10 in my truck. But it is allover the place here in Indiana. I have noticed a little bit better fuel econ and my engine runs a lot smoother. The techs at Cummins said bio is great for our trucks just not to go any more than B-20. They also said if you are have never ran it before than you will need to change your filter quite often for the first 10000 miles due to laquer in the fuel lines etc because bio is like a solvent. The is what Cummins told me and I sticking to it, only down side that i have seen is less smoke to play with and a lower gel point. My truck gelled up at -25.

·
Registered
56 Posts
10)Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank

grabbed two 80oz. containers of this for $8.99 each.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I build the worlds fastest diesel powered Lobster Boats and one of the tricks that we use racing is a small fuel tank for racing that we fill with room temperature B100 just for the race and the big power adder is water injection. I know that B100 is not practical for everyday use, but it sure kick butt for racing if you keep it warm. I concur with the test, 2% Bio is the way to go and it's cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
had a chance to fill up with bio diesel today. Might just be me but the truck runs much smoother!

·
Registered
81 Posts
how well do you guys think the biodiesel will do in the 07.5 6.7 cummins.

·
Registered
56 Posts
this is where if filled up:
http://www.biowillieusa.com/

driving home from Dallas to Austin and the truck ran noticeably different. much, much smoother, and less noise.

:crazy: ?

like to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Nope, DieselPlace.com

I'm going back to 2nd Gen Diesel before I get run off......lol

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.