Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1993 Dodge Shadow ES (3.0L V6)
My Car Has An Issue Where, When You Start It Up From A Cold Start (Cold Start
To Me Means Like In The Morning Or You Haven't Used Your Car In A Day Or Two)
... I Can Drive Nornally For 10 Minutes Before The Car Seems To Go Into Idle,
Without Me Even Doing Anything. The Engine Remains On But I Have No Power
Going To The Wheels. My Only Option Is To Turn The Car Off (Via Key Ignition)
And Watch About Two Minutes. When I Restart The Shadow, I Have About A Good
20 Seconds Of Giving It Gas To Get The Car Moving ... But Within 20 Seconds,
Power Is Lost Again (The Egine Is Still On, Giving It Last Revs The Engine
But Does Absolutely Nothing - It Should Br Driving, LOL.

I Took It To A Shop And They Replaced The Serpentine Belt, Which Was Loose So
The Belt Wasn't Doing Anything Except Hanging There. The Car Was Great For
Nearly A Week, No Issues But That All Changed When I (For The First Time
After The Repair) Turned On The Air Conditioner. Everything Sounded Great
Until The Light Turned Green And I Had No Power To The Wheels Again. Of
Course, Turn The Car Off, Wait 2 Minutes, Then Starting My Car And Quickly
Hitting The Gas So My Car Would Move Before The Power Would Stall Again.

It's At The Same Shop Now That Put The Serpentine Belt On The Car. I Was
Told A Rebuilt Transmission Would Be Needed (After They Did Some Tests) ...
The Cost Would Be $1700.00+ (+ For Any Extra Parts Need During Mounting The
New Transmission).

A Buddy Of Mine Said It May Be The Air Conditioner Compressor? How Does That
Effect The Performance Of A Vehicle (Like My Issue, Being In Drive, Stepping
On The Gas, Hearing The Car Rev But Yet, No Power To Actually Move The Car)?
Well, He Told Me To Get A Second Opinion, Which Would Be Great If I didn't
Have To Pay To Have It Towed From Place To Place.

Since The Shadow Is A '93, I Assume At $1700-$2300 ... That I Would Be Better
Off Getting A Used $2000.00 Car, Perhaps From A Flyer Or Small Car Dealership
In My Area Here In Florida. Any Suggestions? Please!!! (By The Way, I Am
Obviously Clueless When It Comes To Cars ... What Have I Missed If Anything
And Should I Get That Second Opinion?

Thanks For Those Who Read My Babbling And Can Help. :)
-Tony

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
ok, does it only stall when running the a/c or does it do it no matter what? also, when you say stall do you mean that the engine actually stalls or that when you give it the gas the transmission does not engage for you to go anywhere? if it revs up but does not go anywhere you could either have a plugged transmission filter, or a bad torque converter, or some internal damage in the transmission. if the engine dies when you turn the a/c on you could have a bad battery or a bad alternator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Shadow Ran Pretty Good For A Week. It Was Hot OutDoors So I Turned The A/C On ... When The Light Turned Green, I Got A Few Seconds Of Go-Power To The Wheels Then No Power At All. Since Then, I've Left The A/C Off But The Problem Still Persists ... The Way It Happened It Kind Of Gave Me The Impression Whatever Was Done Was Related To The A/C Being Turned Off (I Turned The A/C Off After I Began Stalling-With-The-Engine-On Issue) ... Then Again, Maybe Just Coincidence? I'm Not Sure But It Was The Same Issue I Had With The Shadow Previously.

Ahhh, What I Meant Is The Transmission Does Not Engage When I Give It Gas (The Engine/Transmission Is Still Running, The Engine Will Rev Up But The Car Doesn't Go Anywhere). On The Issue Of The Battery, There Seems To Be Alot Of White Corrosion On The Connectors. Would A Bad Battery Still Allow The Ignition To Turn The Car On And After A Few Minutes, Not Have Power To Push The Car?

In Order For Me To Get Home, I Had Put The Car Into Park, Shut The Engine Completely Off, Wait Between 1 And 2 Minutes. I Then Turned The Car On And Was Able To Give It Some Gas To Move The Car But It Only Lasts For About 10 Seconds Before The Car Has The Problem Above (Engine Running, No Power To The Wheels To Move The Car Though Giving The Car Gas Will Rev The Engine, It Just Doesn't Go Anywhere).

I Forgot To Mention, The Last 2 Or 3 Times I Turned On The Engine To Get Back To My House, The Transmission Seemed To Sound Like An Electric Saw, Not Loud But Noticeable.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
DeadSurvivor said:
The Shadow Ran Pretty Good For A Week. It Was Hot OutDoors So I Turned The A/C On ... When The Light Turned Green, I Got A Few Seconds Of Go-Power To The Wheels Then No Power At All. Since Then, I've Left The A/C Off But The Problem Still Persists ... The Way It Happened It Kind Of Gave Me The Impression Whatever Was Done Was Related To The A/C Being Turned Off (I Turned The A/C Off After I Began Stalling-With-The-Engine-On Issue) ... Then Again, Maybe Just Coincidence? I'm Not Sure But It Was The Same Issue I Had With The Shadow Previously.

Ahhh, What I Meant Is The Transmission Does Not Engage When I Give It Gas (The Engine/Transmission Is Still Running, The Engine Will Rev Up But The Car Doesn't Go Anywhere). On The Issue Of The Battery, There Seems To Be Alot Of White Corrosion On The Connectors. Would A Bad Battery Still Allow The Ignition To Turn The Car On And After A Few Minutes, Not Have Power To Push The Car?

In Order For Me To Get Home, I Had Put The Car Into Park, Shut The Engine Completely Off, Wait Between 1 And 2 Minutes. I Then Turned The Car On And Was Able To Give It Some Gas To Move The Car But It Only Lasts For About 10 Seconds Before The Car Has The Problem Above (Engine Running, No Power To The Wheels To Move The Car Though Giving The Car Gas Will Rev The Engine, It Just Doesn't Go Anywhere).

I Forgot To Mention, The Last 2 Or 3 Times I Turned On The Engine To Get Back To My House, The Transmission Seemed To Sound Like An Electric Saw, Not Loud But Noticeable.
ok, whenever you start the car and have the tranny in gear and you rev it do you hear like a somewhat loud pitched whining noise? if so it is your filter clogged or your oil pump in the transmission is shot. i would first drop the tranny pan and install a new filter. it is not hard at all to do. i think there are 14 10mm bolts to get the pan off, then there are 2 hex screws holding the filter on. just pop the filter out and install the new filter. they have the filter kits at napa for your car and they will run anywhere from 12-16 bucks and it has all the gaskets you need.so if you do this yourself you are looking at around 30 bucks time you buy transmission fluid. i have had to change mine on my 93 shadow probably 10 times so it is not hard to do. good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've Heard The Whining Noise After The Car Quits Giving Power To The Wheels To Move. After Shutting The Ignition Off For A Few Minutes Then Turning It On Again, I Can Step On The Gas And Get Some Movement - During This Time I Hear The Noise, Not The First Time ... So It's After I Lose Power And Turn The Ignition Back On, While Stepping On The Gas, Is Where I Hear The Sound (But Not The First Time Initially) ... Dunno If That's A Good Thing Or A Bad Thing?

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
DeadSurvivor said:
I've Heard The Whining Noise After The Car Quits Giving Power To The Wheels To Move. After Shutting The Ignition Off For A Few Minutes Then Turning It On Again, I Can Step On The Gas And Get Some Movement - During This Time I Hear The Noise, Not The First Time ... So It's After I Lose Power And Turn The Ignition Back On, While Stepping On The Gas, Is Where I Hear The Sound (But Not The First Time Initially) ... Dunno If That's A Good Thing Or A Bad Thing?
that is a hard one right there. could you maybe take it to a tranny place and let them drive it and see what they think. it may not even be tranny related. they will do a drive test for free but if you have them do a diagnostics they will charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.