DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mine's an '08 with CAI and 3 "Flowmaster SI/DO and no problems with the canned tunes. Anybody with similar setup added a Power Wire and if so any better performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I use my Power Wire with my Edge and the DPS, because I already had it, has far as helping, I doubt it, I would not have bought one, but I had it before the tuners, I can say, it ain't hurtin nuthin, that I can see.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I've always run the DSP with the the power wire on, but never compared with or without the power wire under the DSP.

·
Fastest stockblock 4x4 NA
2,695 Posts
is there really a reason to, since you can add fuel with the dsp, kinda defeats the purpose. imo.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Why run the powerwire when you can just add fuel as needed? It's like wearing a tampon and a kotex....

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
If it isn't somehow circumvented by the tuner the intake air temp is one of the factors the pcm uses to determine how much ignition timing is applied in closed loop mode.
The cooler the air the more advanced the timing.
The test would be to datalog cruising with the power wire on vs the power wire off and compare the actual spark timing on cyl 1.
My stock wiring won't reach my IAT sensor on my CAI so I can't test it myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda what I thought. That'd be an idea to try Randtx.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Why run the powerwire when you can just add fuel as needed? It's like wearing a tampon and a kotex....
Don't know nuthin about no cramps-on, but have not seen any reason to take the power wire off.

Got bored yesterday, and did a hard data log run, I'm 5* up on timing, and 2% up on fuel, across the board, that's on the 93 tune, and the highest I see on Kn is 1.5 and only for a split second.

On the way home I did a 0-60 run and recorded a 6.55, and the trans feels better than ever. This truck loves the DSP. :dunno:

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Don't know nuthin about no cramps-on, but have not seen any reason to take the power wire off.

Got bored yesterday, and did a hard data log run, I'm 5* up on timing, and 2% up on fuel, across the board, that's on the 93 tune, and the highest I see on Kn is 1.5 and only for a split second.

On the way home I did a 0-60 run and recorded a 6.55, and the trans feels better than ever. This truck loves the DSP. :dunno:
What sort of actual cyl1 spark timing at WOT do get on that heavy beast?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
What sort of actual cyl1 spark timing at WOT do get on that heavy beast?
I'll try to break this down so it makes sense.
Normal driving 55MPH, Cyl. 1 timing is 21.5*, Open Loop FA is 14.71

The rest of the stats are on a 1/4 mile type run.
At the 1-2 shift, timing, 27.0*, FA 12.24, at 40 MPH.
At the 2-3 shift, timing, 27.0*, FA 12.41, at 61 MPH.
At the 3-4 shift, timing, 32.0*, FA 11.11, at 85 MPH.
At the runs top speed, timing, 26*, FA 10.88, at 95 MPH.

I'm judging the shift points by the spikes on the graph, and the info is taken at the highest point just before the spike starts. Does this make sense?

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I'll try to break this down so it makes sense.
Normal driving 55MPH, Cyl. 1 timing is 21.5*, Open Loop FA is 14.71

The rest of the stats are on a 1/4 mile type run.
At the 1-2 shift, timing, 27.0*, FA 12.24, at 40 MPH.
At the 2-3 shift, timing, 27.0*, FA 12.41, at 61 MPH.
At the 3-4 shift, timing, 32.0*, FA 11.11, at 85 MPH.
At the runs top speed, timing, 26*, FA 10.88, at 95 MPH.

I'm judging the shift points by the spikes on the graph, and the info is taken at the highest point just before the spike starts. Does this make sense?
1-2 & 2-3 timing sound Ok, 3-4th seems bit high.
Whats you gear tire combo and shift points?
You MPH seems to demonstrate something I haven't been able to get a good log of yet (assuming you stayed at WOT and it auto shifted to 4th at 85 mph.)
Can you email me that log file?
Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
1-2 & 2-3 timing sound Ok, 3-4th seems bit high.
Whats you gear tire combo and shift points?
You MPH seems to demonstrate something I haven't been able to get a good log of yet (assuming you stayed at WOT and it auto shifted to 4th at 85 mph.)
Can you email me that log file?
Thanks
Randy
Share what you find, PM me your email.

Tires are 30", Dif is 3.73, stock 2500 stuff.

I double checked and what I see is 3-4 at 85 MPH, I might not be judgeing it right, but that's where things are happening.

Yes I kept WOT till 95 MPH.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Ok got the file
Wellll....
Not sure exactly what I'm seeing happing in first gear, but it's not a gear shift, you are either smoking tires up to 20 mph then they hook or something is not doing so good in the TC or trans at that point.
What ever that is, it occurs about 20 mph but it IS still in first gear after that
logs look like
1st to 2nd is at 48 mph 6050 rpm
2nd to 3rd is at 85 mph 6000 rpm.
3rd to 4th would be faster than you'd ever drive
but at 95 mph you are turning 4100 rpms in 3rd gear.

So are the tires spinning up to 20 mph or does it just fall on it's face for a second?
The graphs look like goes up to 3rpm and 20 mph then it falls back to 3000rpm 19 mph (loses 1 mph) then starts accelerating again.

You running cron 1?
At shift points it's retarding timing back to 14 deg during the shift.

Lots of spark retards...
I'd reduce the WOT spark advance.
you have knock retard from
31 mp to 44mph and from 54 mph to 74 mph
Looks like a max retard of 2 degrees so if you are advancing 5 degrees try advancing only 2 degrees.

Ot orient you, this is the WOT run I zoomed in on.
ignore the actual values that's just where the cursor happened to be when I did the screen shot

Attachments

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Ok, that makes sence the tires do go up in smoke, I'll try backing the timing down 2*, what do you think of the Open Loop F/A?

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Ok, that makes sence the tires do go up in smoke, I'll try backing the timing down 2*, what do you think of the Open Loop F/A?
Open Loop F/A is about meaningless beyond telling you it's in open loop. some call it commanded A/F. it's what the pcm thinks the A/F would be but it's like in closed loop it thinks it's a constant 14.7 but really it's constantly bouncing around below and above that point. Neither reflect actual air fuel ratio. You have use a wideband to determine what the actual open loop A/F ratio is.

2 deg would work then log again and look for the spark retards you get none or next to none at WOT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.