DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know most people on here favor the true trac but im curious. i read somewhere that the tru trac acts like an open diff. when its not needed and locks up when it has to. how does that work? also, compared to the auburn unit, will it act the same way around turns, and stuff? is it going to do burn outs the same? for those who opted for the auburn instead of the tru tac, was that just because of money or was there somthing you didnt like about the tru trac?

· New name, same taste!
1,557 Posts
Something that needs to be cleared up about the Detroit Tru-Trac is that it is not a locker, therefore, it never locks or unlocks. It is completely different than a locker; it performs like any other typical limited slip out there. The correct term would be instead of it "locks", is "engages".

Sorry, but I had to clear that up.

· sans sanity
1,538 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Something that needs to be cleared up about the Detroit Tru-Trac is that it is not a locker, therefore, it never locks or unlocks. It is completely different than a locker; it performs like any other typical limited slip out there. The correct term would be instead of it "locks", is "engages".

That really bugs you doesn't it? :thatfunny This isn't the first time you have posted on that and i'm sure it won't be the last.

Anyway, the tru trac uses gears instead of clutch packs to perform just like a typical limited slip unit. The benifits of the Detroit over a traditional LSD are no clutch packs to eventually wear and no friction modifier needed with the gear oil.
The performance is seamless. You won't even be able to tell it's there until you need it or until put your foot in it around corners and you lite em up.

I ran a Tru trac for a couple years and was very happy overall. The Auburn is a fine LSD as well.

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
For me it was the money - I was already getting gears and it was a 4x4, so that was a good chunk of change. I did read recently about how the true trac works and I guess when one wheel starts slipping there are "side gears" and "pinion gears" that expand and cause the wheels to lock together. The more torque the more they try to lock up. Here is the link to the owners manual and they describe it much better than I just did:

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128482.pdf

· Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YellowKota2k said:

i know that its not a locker, i just used the wrong word.

anyway, with a tru-trac, the truck will still slide around corners and both tires will spin in a burn out, just like a regular lsd, correct?

also, that link gary posted, it says not to use tires with a diameter greater then 32". so if i want to run bigger tires, the tru-trac is not the way to go. it also says that if one tire comes off the ground, it might not engage and id have to apply the brakes to get the other tire to spin. reading that, for offroading the auburn would be favorable, correct?

thanks for the help guys.

· sans sanity
1,538 Posts
DannyMK2 said:
i know that its not a locker, i just used the wrong word.

anyway, with a tru-trac, the truck will still slide around corners and both tires will spin in a burn out, just like a regular lsd, correct?

also, that link gary posted, it says not to use tires with a diameter greater then 32". so if i want to run bigger tires, the tru-trac is not the way to go. it also says that if one tire comes off the ground, it might not engage and id have to apply the brakes to get the other tire to spin. reading that, for offroading the auburn would be favorable, correct?

thanks for the help guys.
Not sure where the 32" thing comes from. Most guys i know that run them have 33's or 35's. The offroad performance is no different than any other LSD. It's common practice when you get a tire dangling to fool the LSD by applying the brake a bit.
I purchased mine specifically for use offroad as hooking up on the street wasn't a concern of mine but offroad traction was. It gives decent offroad traction without the poor manners of a locker.

Yes it will get stupid around corners, even with 35" BFG's. Totally different sound when you break the mud terrains loose. lol :D

· 5 Years... 6 Dodges
30,923 Posts
I plan on getting the tru-trac when I get back to the states.

· Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i guess tru trac it is. thanks guys.

· Registered
690 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
I have one on the shelf with your name on it...:D

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
LOL, I think you have one with my name on it too.... I just wish I had the funds...

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
ive loved mine since iver had it!!! detroit rocks! or atleast the posi does...i dont know about the city!

· 5 Years... 6 Dodges
30,923 Posts
Haven't you heard the song? Of course it does! lol

· Registered
85 Posts
E-Z Locker

What about the E-Z Locker ? . . Do they make it for the 9.25 ? does anyone know ? . . . And if so , is it any good ? :help:

· Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the input...i went ahead and bought a tru trac.

· Registered
85 Posts
Really ? He wont be ? . . . "True Trac's" make no noise around corners ? . . . And what? none of you guys know about the E-Z Locker ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.