Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

I have a 1500 V8 magnum 5.9L ext cab. I have another tour of duty in Iraq coming up, and I ant to take some of my earnings once I get back to upgrade the performance of my truck. So far I've decided on long headers and a dual exhaust.
I'd like to spend around $2,000- $3,000 on the new toys. What should I get to get the best torque/horsepower returns? Thanks!

Aaron :help:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Should consider a gears upgrade if you have not done that already. This would give you a mechanical advantage over the stock 3:55's or 3:92's that you may have.

·
98 SS/T
318 Posts
get stroked- either a 408 or a 426 !

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
What year is it?
Is that 2-3k for parts, you doing the installs or 2-3k for installed parts??

If it is 98 or newer, forget the catback. Money is better spent elsewhere unless you want a certain look (dual exit rear)

MP PCM (if 2000 or older)
Headers & ypipe
Hi flow cat
1.7rr
Gears & LSD if not equiped
Torque convertor
Shift kit with tranny cooler if not already equiped
52mm tb
CAI or ramairbox (www.ramairbox.com)
Synthetic fluid, motor, tranny and diff

Above will give the most gains depending on what you get.
Cheap parts tend to give cheap results or come with issues ;)

·
Derelict
392 Posts
I went with a modified intake manifold, Autolite 3923 plugs, and a 180 degree thermostat. That gave a nice boost for towing. Fixing the plenum gasket helped too.

Gears will make a big difference if you've gone the larger tires.

Be safe out there.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
my mods are in my sig, they'll work just as well for you too.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
If your spending that much either stroke it or get some type of forced induction.
The latter of the two the easiest.

·
Registered
345 Posts
go with the 426 kit ! after finally gettin to drive mine yesterday id tap the gas and send the tires spinnin or my front end would rear up as if it was gonna lift the front tires ! no greater feeling in the world

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's an '01, and my budget listed is just parts. *evil grin* After sitting on my butt in the sand, I'll have a little mad money to play with. Those ideas sound great! I'm putting together a 'must have ' list now. Thanks all!

·
grounded
308 Posts
theres plenty of places to get a blower just do a search or you can go the ebay route. i did both bought the head unit which is the most important part direct and got the rest of the kit from ebay. ( air hat, blower to intake tube, pulleys, bracket and fuel management ) it was a complete dodge kit minus the head unit. didnt want a use head unit because you dont really know what the other person has done. by going this route i saved almost $2K. so it your choice but WOW is it fun and it only took about 7 hrs to but on including a couple runs to the part store for oil lines.
sarge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.