DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1996 3500 died on me the other day. It is getting spark, the fuel pump is kicking in. It is getting fuel to the fuel rail and its sparking like it should... thought maybe the timing belt slipped but it was right on the number one wire at tdc at the number 1 cylinder! The check engine light comes on when i turn the key on and when i turn it over... i just have to way to put a computer up to it. Also the oil pressure gauge goes into the red and stays there when i try to start it. So i pulled the guage out and hoped it would work but it didn't!!! probably wont start with it out but do u think that is the cause? Probably needs a new oil pump but i didn't know what the experts had to say thanks a lot! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
When you turn the key to "on" the fuel pump will come on for about 2 to 3 seconds and then shut down if it sees no signals from the Cam and Crankshaft Position Sensors. Same with the spark. Need to get the codes off the computer...my first guess is the Crankshaft Position Sensor is bad.

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But would the low oil pressure cause it to die... it has died on me before just driving and the oil pressure would drop real low... and when cranking it over the guage is on the bottom lighting up red :huh:

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I think there is a 'fail-safe' built into the oil sending unit that sends a signal to the PCM to shut the fuel pump off in case of low oil pressure. Of course if the engine stalls, the oil pressure will drop to zero. You may have a bad oil sending unit that is sending erroneous readings to the PCM.

The oil gauge lighting up 'red' is normal. My '94 does this..when it starts up the light goes out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.