DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving a noticed about 4 weeks ago that the engine was nearing the 1/2 way on the temp meter. I took off the radiator cap and added around 1/2 gallon and refilled the resevoir. Didn't think much of it, just watched it allittle closer for the forseeable future. :huh:

2 weeks later I noticed the same thing. I took off the cap and agin filled with about 1/2 gallon. 1 week after that I noticed it again. I then proceeded to try and fing the problem. It only leaked when running, idling showed no apparent leaks. I then noticed when looking up from the ground under the passanger front wheel anti-freeze drops from 2 tubes that enter and leave the bottom of a canister toward the back lower passanger side of the engine. I felt up along what seemed to be a cove in the engine block. I thought it was a seam where a gasket may be leaking. I then had my father rev up the engine to 1600 rpm to simulate the running and leaking affect.

To my surprise, there was anti-freeze bleeding out of what was around 1/2" under the cove area until it accumulated into drops. There is no gasket, seam, or anything in this area, so I have what appears to be a crack in the block at that location. :mad: :VHOT:

Needless to say I'm disappointed as I only have towed my 6000lb RV 8 times since I bought it, and go to work in an office daily. It is 8 years old with 91k miles, a supposed "baby" in diesel terms. The local Dodge dealer said any warranty is over, and things don't look good for the crack. It is now about 6" long and appears to be growing and losing more anti-freeze along the way. :VHOT:

Any suggestions, anybody else have this happen?? :help: :help: :help:

Thanks Z

· Registered
2,425 Posts

· Registered
2,425 Posts

· 4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,520 Posts
If I were a bettin' man I'd bet she's a 53...sorry to hear about it.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
bobem12 said:
If I were a bettin' man I'd bet she's a 53...sorry to hear about it.
Thats one way to make money. I would take that bet with someone too.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, atleast I know it wasn't just me, the Stich guys are only 110 miles from me, do you think it is worth the $2500 they want for this 1999 with 91k miles on?
Thanks again, Z

· Registered
2,425 Posts
It would ok be if they can provide documentation of previous repairs that lasted for years. The number 1 thing is it'll buy you some time to save up for a replacement.
You might also call the local boneyards about a good used motor out of a wreck and/or Jasper rebuilt engines since they support Tractor Pullers too :gr_patrio .

· Registered
156 Posts
Hey thee, I belong to another site called TDR www.tdr1.com their are a few people over there that have had these "53" blocks replaced by Cummins themselves no matter what the mileage on them. Cummins knows that their is a problem with them and they are standing behind them (I think) but they arent advertising it. Im almost possitive if you do a little reaserch you will find out what you need. Im thinking I heard where Cummins replaced the engines and the consumer (you) paid for the labor. Which to me seems like a pretty good deal.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.