DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cannot decide the route i want to go with this truck of mine.
i have the big tries on it and stuff, but that 4x4 mudding phase is pretty much over. I love the whole big truck seen though. the problem is, I also love the speed. Ive been sorda building my truck up performance wise, and i know it will always be a heavy truck and a lot slower than the rc/2wd trucks. that doesnt really bother me.. anyways i dont have the patience or a job paying enough to save up 5,000 easily so my dream of STS turbo is about out of the picture. christmas is around the corner and my birthday after that so i really need to decide if i want to stick to this big 4x4 truck or go to more of a truck built for speed look.

if i go for the speed look, this is what i wanna do.
ive been looking at 22s, i really like the boss 313's, cant decide on chrome or black.
i plan on removing my toolbox if i go this route, and dropping the truck some, which i know nothing about considering it is a 4x4.
performance-wise i want to get pacesetter lt's and y-pipe, electric cutout, the whole airram system if he ever puts it back on his site (although i have a CAI i rather have one that performs the best), and i really want to get into a new cam. one thing holding me back from this route is experience in mechanics and working on motors.

WHAT DO I DO

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
If you dont go offroad, I wouldnt lift it...
I went the route of the "lowered/performance", as I have no reason to go offroad. Its a hard choice for sure, both look super cool...I decided on functionality, lowering it was more functional than lifting it.

Take a look around, or maybe do both, lower it in the summer, lift it in the winter LOL

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay one thing i need to take into consideration is that i want to be able to tow still is that possible with a drop

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Depends on how you lower it, but yes.

If you get drop springs in the back, you lose some towing ability.
If you get a flip kit, the towing ability is unchanged.

With either, you can get helper bags (airbags) to level it out, so you lose now towing ability, and with that, the weak link is the other stuff, not the suspension

·
Registered Confuser
6,365 Posts
keep the 4x4 look. you know its badass :rck: . In my opinion, building that truck for speed is going to do nothing but ruin it and tear it up, because youll be doing much more WOT, burnouts, racing etc..( everything these quadcab pickups are not meant for).. my .02 :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Unless you need it for off-road, a lift is a waste of a good truck. Lower is better for handling and, arguably, MGP (lower air resistance underneath).

I plan to use my truck as a car basically, very light hauling (and then only if I get free beer). So I'm lowering 2/4.

I agree the lifted look is cool, but if you're not going to use it, you're creating driveline angle problems that will haunt you later on

You're never gonna go really fast in a truck unless you have cubic $'s and are willing to spend them (e.g., STS kit). Go for the look you like best.

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can someone from slammed1 comment on the lowering options and still wanting to be able to tow?

·
Registered
527 Posts
PM slammed1, he's very responsive and seemingly knowledgable.

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
crisbruyere said:
can someone from slammed1 comment on the lowering options and still wanting to be able to tow?

adamsredlines said:
Depends on how you lower it, but yes.

If you get drop springs in the back, you lose some towing ability.
If you get a flip kit, the towing ability is unchanged.

With either, you can get helper bags (airbags) to level it out, so you lose now towing ability, and with that, the weak link is the other stuff, not the suspension

I'm not from Slammed1, but I believe that to be a pretty accurate answer.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I think your truck would look great with a leveling kit and some 17" wheels and 33" tires.

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im running 33" tires and 20"s right now without a leveling kit because i dont see a point in cranking the bars if im just gonna go change my mind

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
So basically you have your mind set on lowering the truck then?

·
the sky is the limit
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
almost

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Good luck on what you decide to go with :gr_patrio

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.