DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still unsure about this. I've debadged cars with mixed results. What's the best way to remove the glue, without harming the paint/clearcoat?

I kinda like the Hemi badges, and the Big Horn (what they call me at work now), but the ram head on the tailgate and the dealership emblem must go!

What is the wheel thing that you put in your drill? Is it safe for paint? Where do you get one?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, new truck and have to get things straight right off the bat.

:dtrocks:

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,292 Posts
ive personally never used the wheel thing but have seen some great results with it but if your only going to be removing the dodge symbol on the back the the stupid dealership sign just get some like 10# fishing line a blow dryer heat the emblem up a lil bit and then begin to saw thru the dodge emblem and eventually it will come off with some patience then with the glue left over just get some sticker remover and spray it on it and let it soak and use your thumb to roll up the sticky and then put a little polish where to emblem was, now for your stealership sign see from the top how it is affixed if it is like the dodge emblem do the same as above and its all good

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I found the 3M Adhesive Remover to be the best alternative to the wheel. Just get some fishing line (10lb or greater) and cut the decals off the truck. The black glue will be underneath. Spray the 3M Adhesive Remover on the glue and allow it to sit for a minute or two. Then spray it again - allowing it to soak. The glue will rub right off. You may have some dirt or other imperfections on the paint (if your truck is a couple years old). Just use some wax on those areas and it cleans up nice!!!!

·
Totally Hemi Crazy!
321 Posts
My truck is an '03 and black, think I will have shadows if I debadge? Can they be dealt with? Worried I waited too long..

·
Coolest Ram Club in FL
4,292 Posts
i debadged my 2002 silver and had no really no shadowing at all i wouldn't worry about it man

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
TexasAxMan said:
Still unsure about this. I've debadged cars with mixed results. What's the best way to remove the glue, without harming the paint/clearcoat?

I kinda like the Hemi badges, and the Big Horn (what they call me at work now), but the ram head on the tailgate and the dealership emblem must go!

What is the wheel thing that you put in your drill? Is it safe for paint? Where do you get one?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, new truck and have to get things straight right off the bat.

:dtrocks:
How new is your truck?? I used a credit card and my thumbs.. Had it debadged before i left the dealer... If its older follow these guys steps..

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
8 days old today. I'll do it this weekend, with an infant running around, not time during the week.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
One more question, are any of the badges bolted on or are they all on with double stick tape? The reason I ask is that HemiDave told me the V8 ones on his truck are bolted on. I don't want to screw up the body.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
All my badges were just Dbl Stick Tape...

As for shadowing, You can Claybar the Shadows off...

One thing I would like to point out... If you have ANY type of road grime (sand, dirt, etc) that has "stuck itself" to the sidewalls of the double stick tape, be careful using the credit card method to it. It can scratch the paint slightly. The 3M adhesive remover is a safe surefire way of getting it gone. doesnt cost much and the results are awesome.

Other than that, Tether the Young'n to the bumper, ice down a 6-pack and Git-R-Done!

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
TexasAxMan said:
8 days old today. I'll do it this weekend, with an infant running around, not time during the week.
bro they will pull rite off if its that new.. If the tape stays you can thumb up an inch then carefully at an angle pull the sticky and it should pull rite off.. Took me a whole 20 min... If you want a demo and your around the SW freeway and 610 hola..

·
Totally Hemi Crazy!
321 Posts
I pulled off the "Heavy Duty" & "SLT" badges this afternoon. I used the fishing line and 3M adhesive remover. Was a bit of work but came off. Used a little swirl remover afterwards to clean the area up then carnuba wax. No evidence they were ever there. My teenagers want the entire truck debadged but I haven't made up my mind yet.

·
TRICK TURBO
3,865 Posts
Magnum said:
I pulled off the "Heavy Duty" & "SLT" badges this afternoon. I used the fishing line and 3M adhesive remover. Was a bit of work but came off. Used a little swirl remover afterwards to clean the area up then carnuba wax. No evidence they were ever there. My teenagers want the entire truck debadged but I haven't made up my mind yet.
Rip it all off.. By the way, Good lookin truck

·
Registered
453 Posts
I did mine on my old red truck and you could see the shadow when it was dirty but when i waxed and cleaned it they went away. My dealership said they will take them off for 20$ So i'm gonna take it to them. It really is very simple to do.

·
the sky is the limit
1,309 Posts
lol i used wd-40 to loosen up the black adhesive and the badges ripped right off.. anything left over was gone due to 3m adhesive remover :D

hate to hijack but 06ramhemi did you get the Chrome CAI off ebay and if so did you replace the filter? if so, with what?

·
LSU
1,286 Posts
Magnum said:
i have an 03 patriot blue and i was worried about that too, but since yours came out ok it think taht i will do it. what did you take off?

·
the sky is the limit
1,309 Posts
umm you quoted him saying fishing line and 3m adhesive remover

·
Totally Hemi Crazy!
321 Posts
I just took off a couple badges, the "Heavy Duty" and "SLT" from the tailgate. Came off real well and no shadows that I can see but I did use swirl remover and then carnuba after the removal. I am leaning towards a total debadge. We also took off badges from my son's black 2001 Ford Explorer using the same technique and I was worried this older vehicle would have shadows but nothing. His looks clean and no ghosting.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I would rent this tool for debadging. But, be very careful not to scratch your paint. :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.