DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got up the nerve and the energy to do my little debadging project this weekend. I bought my fishing line and Goo Gone just as I had been advised. Stupid little me didn't think to go one badge at a time though, just in case. I went around the truck and had the 2 RAM 1500 badges off the doors and the 1 SLT badge off the tail in under 5 minutes, no problems what so ever. This left me with an 1/8" thick black double sided tape where the badges were, again, no major problems here, just annoying. Getting the tape off took at least another 1 1/2-2 hours of slowly picking at it because it wouldn't stay a single strip so I could pull it off, oh no, it had to come off in 1/8" mini-chunks. Well once this process was complete I was left with a nasty layer of adhesive, no problem, that's why I got the Goo Gone. Well after another 5 hours of working with the Goo Gone I am now adhesive free and missing my entire Sunday. What I am left with however is a "ghost" of every single one of the badges. The surfaces are literally squeaky clean, there is nothing there but I can still see all the letters of all the badges quite plain as day in the sunlight. So now I am sitting with a beautiful sport truck that looks like it has been half-assed by some idiot that didn't know what he was doing and it looks like total crap, will takes picks later on if need be.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! My truck isn't even 3 months old yet, the entire process was done on a "cold" truck, no heat used and it was in the garage the hole time. I did it exactly the way I have been told to in other posts about this process and what took everyone else 45 minutes took me 9+ hours and I am left with utter disappointment. The ghosting ranges from off white to grayish in places. What did I do wrong, what can I do to fix it? Did I just miss a final step that included it looking good at the end :huh:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
410 Posts
It sounds like one of two things could have happened, one, when you removed the badges you could have taken the clear coat off with the glue, but I think, and not seeing what you have first hand, it sounds like the sun and elements has changed the color of the rest of your truck leaving the 'shadow' look where the badges were. Even though you've only owned the truck for three months, there's no telling how long it sat on the dealers lot or at the factory before it was shipped. You may want to try buffing the area with a compound and a high speed rotary buffer, or have it done by someone who is familiar with a rotary as they can be tricky to use, other than that, without a paint job, you may want to glue the emblems back. But if it was mine, I'd definitely try buffing the areas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Normally when you take badges off a vehicle that is a little older you can still see the outline (this has been the case with two of my cars, both red). This is because of fading paint usually.

However, since your truck is much newer, that shouldn't be the issue. You are probably dealing with a dirt issue.

Is it darker where the badge was, or where it wasn't?

The darker area is probably going to have to be cleaned. And I don't mean with a hose and a sponge, I mean with a clay bar most likely. If you are not familiar, a clay bar removes all of the microscopic imperfections that your paint picks up (dirt, grease, glass, etc...). These are all things simply washing will not get out. There are plenty of forums on this site that deal with clay bar and how to use one, always be sure to follow the directions and re-apply at least a coat of wax wherever you use it.

If this does not fix the problem than there isn't much you can do, short of having the spot repainted by a bodyshop (and I doubt you are that desperate).

Hope this helps.

·
Yo Daddy
1,414 Posts
I just helped my buddy finish debadging his 03 dark blue ram. There was shadows where he left his Hemi badges. Once the glue was completly taken off, I clayed the area, then buffed it out with a light cuting polish, then non cutting polish, and finished up with wax. The shadows are now gone. Try buffing them out, it should help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
jayincali said:
I just helped my buddy finish debadging his 03 dark blue ram. There was shadows where he left his Hemi badges. Once the glue was completly taken off, I clayed the area, then buffed it out with a light cuting polish, then non cutting polish, and finished up with wax. The shadows are now gone. Try buffing them out, it should help.

This is gonna sound stupid but were the shadows light? I mean does the adhesive(backing the emblems) seem to lighten up the clearcoat a bit and this is why you were able to polish it out?

·
Yo Daddy
1,414 Posts
I think so, When we pulled off the Hemi badge, you could see the outline of the HEMI. You will need to clean the area with dish soap to get rid of the cleaner you used. Other wise the clay will start to fall apart from the chemical. Then polish it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.