DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a partial debadge on my 02 Ram. I wanted to keep the RAM1500 on the doors, and maybe the Dodge on the tailgate. What I wanted off was the SLT badges located behind each door. (Reg. Cab) I sawed them off with fishing line, no problem. Used a putty knife to get off the majority of the adhesive left behind. Then used Goo-Gone for a bit to get the rest off. When I was done, I took it for a wash and a wax. But in the end, there is still ghosting. It is not severe, but definitely noticable. So I dont know what I am going to do know, but if you have an older style, you may have to face this problem if you debadge.

If anyone knows of anything I can do, let me know, I am thinking maybe getting a Ram's head from the tailgate of the 05's and putting it over the ghosting...I saw someone else had it done and didnt think it looked that bad....any ideas?

Also on the lighter side of debadging....I saw a Ram today that had removed the 1500 from the doors and replaced it with ROD....making it say RAMROD on the doors. I wish I had a camera.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
wax it some more, maybe try some paint cleaner or rubbing compound, only if you know what you're doing though because you can screw up the paint if you're not careful. Get out the buffer and use it. Post pics when all is done.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Use a good quality wax, in the shade and just keep waxing. A couple coats oughta get rid of that. Many people have had the same problem. Just a little buffing and she will be alright. I was watching trucks a couple months back and stacy actually had a ram featured on there called the ramrod, right on the doors. I did not know of it until then, so I don't know if it is a goof or if it was an actual production model.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
A putty knife!!!!???? There should be no ghosting on new vehicles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
his is 3 years old...i would not use compound if its black...which im not sure of your color

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's black, and I dont know if it is called a putty knife. It was like a smooth stick, just something to scrape it off without leaving any marks or scratches. I suppose I will wax some more.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
It may be noteworthy but while everyone is telling you to wax, be careful on that,> You use polish to get out flaws, not wax. Wax when you're done polishing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any brand recommendation on the polish? Never used it before....thought it was same as wax....

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I debadged my truck after 6 years and 50000 miles of weathered paint, i had major ghosting (was to be expected though) although waxing itself wont get it all to go away try rubbing compound or even mothers scratch remover ( mothers scratch remover is great when i offroad and sometimes scrape against a bush and get huge ugly white scratches down the whole side of the truck this stuff and rigorous rubbing virtually removes them)

·
Registered
16,621 Posts
i debadged a customers 99 durango today its black, i buffed it with presta strata ultra cutting compound and a 3m white foam pad followed by 3m black foam pad with castle final step this is a every day practice for me on old and new paint, its not hard you need a buffer and a velcro backing pad , if you dont have them take it to someone who does. your wasting your time with all of the over the counter miracle hand polishs and glazes the trick is the compound and the grit of the pad and the heat the pad puts out that cuts the paint . you cant do it by hand and do a good job . and stay away from wool pads they damage the paint.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
mattspenc said:
Any brand recommendation on the polish? Never used it before....thought it was same as wax....
Mequires is as good as any and there are many good brands. Always polish before waxing. Wax seals in everything in your paint, so polish out all the residue and oxidation, etc, then wax to seal in the good stuff and keep the bad stuff out.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Polishing Compound and Rubbing Compound are two different animals. Rubbing compound is only used for getting rid of deep scratches and marks. Polishing compound will get rid of fine scratches and ghosting and stuff like that. Get a good 3M polishing compound for clear coat and your ghosting will be gone. You can machine polish it if you know what you are doing or you can hand polish it if not comfortable with a machine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't use a rubbing compound or a polishing compound! Both items can leave swirls or lite scratches in your finish. I can only recommend one brand, 3M. I've tried other products and I end up cleaning up the other products problems with a 3M product. For minor stains and light oxidation or paint fading, use 3M Perfect-it Swirl Mark Remover, P/N 051131-39009 for dark colored vehicles and P/N 051131-39109 for light colored cars. This can be used by hand or with a machine. If you plan on the machine method, use the foam pad that 3M recommends with this product. I don't have the bottle in front of me to tell you which pad they recommend. Both products can be found or ordered at your local NAPA dealer, I have also seen this at Trick Trucks.
Black paint will show every scratch no matter how minor, it is the hardest color to take care of also, but not impossible. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
If it's not severe, I would try Meguiars cleaner wax. Yes, I know it's a wax and not a polish, but it's good stuff. It's cleaning abilities amaze me.

If that doesn't work try the polishing compound (not rubbing compound), followed by a swirl remover, followed by a good polish.

·
Banned
524 Posts
deep system crystal polish, scratch x, maybe even the clay bar...all meguire's of course..

·
Registered
218 Posts
dude with black, you really need someone with some buffing experience...if you even attempt to hand rub black ....it may look good in the shade but wait till the sun hits the paint...and half of those miracle polishes/glazes wash out in a couple of car washes and leave you stuck with swirl marks and haze...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Charlie (ex Boyd Coddington painter, Chip Foose painter) uses Meguires Diamond cut, followed by 3M Perfect It polish, then a good quality wax, like Mirror Glaze from Meguires. Straight from a question asked in a nother forum he responded to.

All those products are professional grade and are usually not in the same area as the NXT waxes and all in one waxes and stuff. I used his 3 layer method, except used all Meguires and all hand done (I really need a polisher) the last time I polished my truck. You can barely see the body end and world begin in most of the photos.

Keep in mind that is an 02 that has only been garaged for the past year (since the break in). You can see all the way down the street in my paint.

Attachments

·
Banned
524 Posts
so tell us your entire process, or should we start a new thread?
include all product names....i'll post mine

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Meguires #7 & #9 Excellent stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.