DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 1999 1500 5.2L QC 5 sp. It contracted the deathflash virus in 2002 because of coronary detonation. I've read some posts regarding the use of tuners to return the computer to stock (or better) settings. I never noticed a loss of power until my mechanic did an injector cleaning and reset the computer in 2004 before a road trip. Wow! For the 30 or so miles before the pcm "learned my driving style" it had much quicker response and didn't idle roughly on cold starts. (The truck idles like a funny car for 10-15 seconds on cold startups then smooths out. This only began after the flash.) Then the flash took over and there went my power. The ping, for the most part, is under control. (Plenum's good and it doesn't use oil.) The cleaning did the trick for me. The truck is stock save a KN filter and Champion Truck plugs. It has 77,xxx miles. I would like to get it back to the original stock power without detonation. Should I go with Hypertech 3715, Superchips 50004 or Mopar PCM? Do both tuners perform similarly? I believe the Superchips is cheaper-why? Is it safe to run on the 93 octane setting without detonation? I know there isn't much power to be gained, etc. I don't care. What have you all done with your deathflashed 5.2s? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spirit-Dodge. That was my inclination also. I do plan on contacting both companies for assistance, but I figured I'd see what this forum's opinion was. Apparently, not that many have this problem. By the way, I see you're running a 180 t-stat with the PPIII. Are you using the 93 setting and if so, does it ever ping and what's your mileage? Did your 98 get the DF?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't mean to sound goofy, but what is the deathflash virus. I have never heard of that. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In short, the deathflash, as it is referred to in owner's circles, is a dealer's pcm "update" meant to cure detonation. Some 98-00 trucks have had this "update" and it is clearly labeled on the radiator support with a sticker. Basically the dealer simply retarded the timing, making it harder for the motor to detonate (ping). Obviously, this doesn't work and just robs power--hence, "death"-flash. My truck got this when I complained of pinging. They said it was a 2001 setting meant to better control the spark and fuel. BS. Bad news, the 2001 trucks already have this timing from the factory. I'm trying to figure out the best way to return my truck's power which is why I started this post.

·
BORN 1/24/2009 6LBS 14ozs
2,843 Posts
I know you have a 5.2L and I have a 4.7L but what I can tell you is that Superchips gets all their power by advancing the timing and by changing the A/F mixture at set points. I am very happy with my Superchips tuner and the Superchips tuner does a whole lot more for the 5.2L-5.9L then Hypertech ever could dream of doing. I am privy to certain information as being one f the testers for Superchips. I think you will be very happy with the results if decide to go with Superchips. Give Superchips a call and ask for Al in customer service he really can tell you alot about what their product can do for you. They are a great of people there.

Sean
SQC

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Shadow,
Does Superchips do much for the 4.7 on the 87 octane setting?. I have heard that practical performance gain is had only from the higher octane programs. Do not know if that is in reference to Superchips specifically or chip tuners in general. I have been considering a chip tuner but refuse to be forced to use premium.
(BTW, was that you who passed by chat a little while ago?)

·
2,843 Posts
joe washington said:
Shadow,
Does Superchips do much for the 4.7 on the 87 octane setting?. I have heard that practical performance gain is had only from the higher octane programs. Do not know if that is in reference to Superchips specifically or chip tuners in general. I have been considering a chip tuner but refuse to be forced to use premium.
(BTW, was that you who passed by chat a little while ago?)
Yep I was in the chat but I guess you were napping. Honestly I have only tried the towing program and the performance progra. I felt that my truck was a dog with the tow program but I LOVE the performance program. Sorry I have never tried the 87 octane program. Joe just keep in mind that if you run the performance program your fuelmilage will increase 1-2 mpg so it will offset the difference you are paying for the premium fuel. So in essence if you can keep your foot out of the throttle all the time you will not be spending anymore $$ on fuel if you're going further on a tank of fuel.

Sean
SQC

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Yes I was napping.
Hmmm... Interesting concept. Have not thought about it like that. :IDEA: Something to consider.
But then again, since we are doing all these mods, the purpose is to STOMP IT, ya!? :rck:

Thanks.

·
CHROME
954 Posts
I'm third owner but no records from Dodge of the DF. My truck pinged like a mother @#[email protected]# before I had the plenuim fixed. I have heard NO pinging after the plenuim was fixed. :rck: Before I got her fixed I would run 93 and set the PPIII to 87 and alot of the ping would go away. Its currently set for 87 have not run 93 cause its not pinging and the price.

SHADOW QUAD CAB

I have a co-worker thats running 93 in his new Colorado cause the MPG is better too( I would never buy a truck with a 5 cylinder motor). I never saw a differance in MPG on my truck but that was with the plenuim bad.

·
2,843 Posts
Spirit,
I agree with you the 5 cylinder truck thing. Although my other ride is a 5 cylinder 04 Volvo Turbo. As for the increase in mpg I'm not saying by switching to 93 octane alone you will get an increase in mpg but by going with the Superchips tuner you wil get an increase in mpg. Reason being is because Superchips puts SO MUCH advance in the timing which 99% of the time results in better mpg. But the downside of that is you have to run premium otherwise you can run in to detonation issues.

SQC

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Shadow and Spirit. Funny thing, I was leaning towards the PPIII because of the price but I like Superchip's 3 settings. When I do decide, where's a good place to buy a tuner? BTW, that is one sweet truck Shadow. What kind of mileage do you get on the perf setting when you're not stomping your foot through the floor?

·
2,843 Posts
Thanks man!! I average around 14 when I keep my foot out of it but at 70mph on the highway when its flat it gets around 20mpg. As for where to get the tuner check with John @ www.socalmotorsports.com Tell him you missed the group by we had on dodgetalk for the Superchips tuner. I think he is selling them for around $310-$320. I have never had the PPIII but from what I have heard you get better performance results with the Superchips tuner but that's what I heard not what I know for sure.

SQC

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, 20mpg!!! I'd be happy with 15! Thank you for the web site and info Shadow. I did a comparison between the two brands off their websites. Superchips lists nothing for the 87 setting but 18.7 hp, 30 lbft gain for the Perf setting. While Hypertech shows gains on a dyno chart, they aren't significantly different. Both their 87 and 93 settings show almost identical power curves for a max gain of 14 hp and 25 lbft. I like the gains with the Superchips but if I can run 87 and get what Hypertech claims without detonation, that would be sweet. Hmmmm...
I wonder if anyone at Dodgetalk has experience with both products... ?

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I got mine I skipped everything and went streight to 93. I have not had any pinging at ALL! On Saturday I got sort of stuck in some snow and run it pretty hard and again no ping. I'm very pleased and as far as the performance all I can say is WOW! I don't know why I waited so long to get one. As far as my death flash, it's gone and I have the power a 5.9 should have. By the way I'm running 91 oct Ethenal and not 93 prem gas and I have had absalutely no pinging!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's great Rare T/A! Thanks for your reply. What tuner did you say you have?

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I like my PPIII. I have it set at 87 and run 89 octane fuel. I DEFFINITLY noticed a difference after the isntall. Alot more pickup off the start and between 1,500 - 3,000 RPM. I have never used the Superchips, I've heard good things about both. All i know is the PPIII removes your stock program and stores it on the unit and replaces it with it's own program.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ended up getting a Hypertech PPIII. I bought a used Hypertech before Christmas and when I got it, it didn't work. I called HT and offered to pay to get it fixed and they wouldn't repair it since I was not the origional onwer. This upset me so I called Superchips and asked about the way they would handle this situation if I bought a used unit and was told the same thing. I guess this is how the industry must operate. It looks like there needs to be some more products to choose from so these two will be a little more customer friendly. The seller did give me my money back! I set out to find another one and after several auctions I won the bid for a Hypertech and this one works great. I cann't believe some of those bidder as they will bid higher than you can buy one for retail.

·
Chicks dig bench seats.
1,901 Posts
I was very uneasy about buying a used unit. I was affraid that the person didn't replace their vehicle with the stock settings. So i bought mine new. I wouldn't be without it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.