DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you going like 20 miles an hour or more and you hit the brakes it feels like the whole front end is going to come out from under my 96 Dodge Dakota Sport where should I start at troubleshooting brakes or tires or suspension all the ball joints and stuff for bad so start there

·
Registered
147 Posts
When you going like 20 miles an hour or more and you hit the brakes it feels like the whole front end is going to come out from under my 96 Dodge Dakota Sport where should I start at troubleshooting brakes or tires or suspension all the ball joints and stuff for bad so start there
I presume you meant "are bad" ... you know those are bad, so plan on those.

At the age, I'd do the ENTIRE front suspension; is it 2WD or 4WD? If 2WD, that's outer tie rods, ball joints, sway bar end links, inner and outer wheel bearings, and control arm bushings. Possibly swaybar bushings.

If 4WD, inner and outer tie rod ends, Pitman arm, idler arm, drag link, ball joints, wheel hubs and bearings, control arm bushings, and sway bar end links. Possibly sway bar bushings.

Don't just half assed do it, do it all at this age.

Consider new rotors and brake pads for the front also; might as well since you'll have it apart doing the bearings/hubs.

AND GET IT OFF THE ROAD!!!! If it's THAT bad, it's a death waiting to happen! (That's not "Death Wobble" which is caused by lifting a truck without paying attention to the front end geometry; but it can be fatal for you, and for others on the road.)

Don't buy the cheapest crap you can; cheap crap is cheap crap. Get good parts. Don't OVERSPEND; when the exact same ball joint can be had from Prime or RockAuto for half what the big box parts store charges or even less, there's no reason to pay the big box price unless you need it RightNAOW!!!! and so you plan on doing it, no waiting until the front end comes out from under the truck ...

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts