DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stepdad went to get his Power Wagon serviced today. His rear diff cover has some rust on it, which is causing the paint to peel off. Now he says that the dealership won't replace that under warranty because they don't cover rust. But the argument is that the Service person states that the diff cover is made out of aluminum and that some aluminum rusts. My stepdad argued that point saying that aluminum doesn't rust just look at the aluminum hull boats. The service guy then went on to add that yes aluminum does rust, to prove it look at the exhaust tip and you would see some rust. So the service guy was saying that the rear diff cover is made out of aluminum and so is the exhaust. Can I get some truth behind this as to what the AAM axle diff cover and exhaust is made out of?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Steel. Put a magnet to it. If it sticks, it is NOT aluminum. Exhaust is supposed to be stainless steel. The U-bolts may not be, but the exhaust is supposed to be SS. Mine are steel. I took them off when I put the PCP differential guards on.

Attachments

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
Have him find another dealership

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he just wants to go back and prove the guy wrong and shove it in his face that they aren't aluminum. Just didn't know what they were made out of. Originally he took the truck in because one of the cab lights is leaking and his rear diff lock light is flashing when he is driving. So he asked the service guy if the rear end was getting hot causing the paint peel. Also some of the headliner is falling down. We figured they were steel though, just wanted to be certain

·
Registered
91 Posts
diff cover surface rust is pretty normal esp up here in the northeast

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
diff cover surface rust is pretty normal esp up here in the northeast
yeah but for being less than a year old and not seeing snow at all, i think it is rusting prematurely. But he isn't worried about that, plus warranty won't cover rust

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Not that I am defending the stealersip, but.. don't worry about it. Those frikin things are thick as hell and stronger then any of us need, a little rust won't hurt anything. Mine are totally rusty. I like em' that way!

·
RamRoddin'
789 Posts
Well if he'd pull yr step dad's chain over what his exhaust is made of right to his face, imagine what they are doing or NOT doing to his truck when he's not looking.
I agree take a drive n find another dealership to deal with. Whether this is something they should cover realistically or not the way he handled shit with yr step dad is sketchy.

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Steel rusts, and aluminium crodes. I can tell you for a fact that the stock covers are STEEL! And, no the factory ain't going to replace a cover with some rust on it. Sorry. Here's a pictures of the rear cover. The stock rear cover is on the left. :D

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.