DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am sure this has been covered a 100 times here but I must not be searching correctly.
My dealer is telling me that the gear oil for my 2004 3500 is a “special” oil for “American: axels” and I should not use anything else. The issue here is that it goes for $22.92 a quart…… :WHT:
First off it this true about the “special” oil?
What are other people using? I have 410 with Anti Spin.

· Registered
281 Posts
Yes there is a special fluid for the American Axles. It has special friction modifiers in it just for those rear ends. It requires about 3 1/2 quarts for a change so you will need to buy 4 quarts. I will sell you 4 quarts shipped to your door for $45 if you are interested.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
I use the el cheapo 85-90W gear oil and no additive in my 456 limited slip rear.

I don't use the additive at all because with the extra power I make it will slip the clutches off the line and so far (after 8 months or so), no problem.

Of course, on tight turns from a stop on sandy or slippery surfaces the inside tire will spin a little, but not on dry pavement.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
kenihemi said:
I use the el cheapo 85-90W gear oil and no additive in my 456 limited slip rear.

I don't use the additive at all because with the extra power I make it will slip the clutches off the line and so far (after 8 months or so), no problem.

Of course, on tight turns from a stop on sandy or slippery surfaces the inside tire will spin a little, but not on dry pavement.
Thats fine for your little rear end but its not going to work in his 3500 HD rear end. If he doesn't use the proper oil he won't be going far for long......

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HemiSLT said:
Yes there is a special fluid for the American Axles. It has special friction modifiers in it just for those rear ends. It requires about 3 1/2 quarts for a change so you will need to buy 4 quarts. I will sell you 4 quarts shipped to your door for $45 if you are interested.
What brand do you have for sale?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Hello DSLPWR,

For the 2500/3500 with AAM axles any Synthetic, GL-5 SAE, 75W-90 or equivalent oil with no limited slip additive will do, you don't need the Mopar brand oil.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feed back! It nice to know there is a place to go to get straight answers. :)
I still can’t get over the fact that one dealer is selling the oil for $22.99 a quart and the other is selling it at $14.99…and guess what…the higher dealer is the one I bought the truck from….. :huh:

I think I am going to go for either the Moble1 or Amsoil

Thanks again!

· Registered
363 Posts
The American axle anti slip does not use clutch packs and does not require a friction modifier additive. It is a helical gear limited slip.

· Registered
4 Posts
If you read the Dodge DR-Truck Service Manual for our trucks you will see the AAM 11.5 axle on the 2500/3500 trucks does not require the use of friction modifiers, but a fill using Synthethic GL-5 75-90w Gear Oil. This weight of oil can be purchased at your local parts store or at Walmart in a brand of your choice. I personally prefer Valvoline Synthetic, and cost about 11.00 a bottle at my local Napa store. It is even backed by Cummins and Mopar.

On some of the other Diesel boards people have debated about using the 75/140W oil, since this is what GM uses in their AAM 11.5 Axles with a 50,000 mile drain interval (If my memory serves me right). Some have even gone so far as to email AAM this question. Their reply back was paraphrased to say, "use the service life and a synthetic weight of oil the manufacture put into the axle, since the axles are ship dry from AAM to Dodge." So, according to rumor on those same boards Dodge uses a Mobil 1 Synthetic 75/90w GL-5 Fluid. Lets also not forget the published Service drain intervals at 30,000 miles for Service Sechdule A Drivers and Ever 15,000 miles for Service Sechdule B.

And, yes Dodge has had a few problems with the AAM 11.5 Axles with and with out Anti-spin options, which quite a few people believe the culprit is the low weight rating of the oil. I believe the debate is still out on that and only a post failure oil analistis with a stock fill base line analistis will settle it once and for all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.