DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am set on buying a 1996 Ram 1500 SLT 318ci 4x4 x-cab tomorrow. The price is $2200. The truck has 259K on it. The AC blows cold...typical loaded truck. Rear main seal is leaking. Body is used rough but not damaged as in crash damage if you get me on that. It looks like a truck that has been worked hard, but taken care of maintenance wise (don't think you can get 259K without good maintenance. Kelly Blue Book quotes $4600 in fair shape...
Any thoughts from the crowd?
Current ride is a 2WD single cab long bed 318 FI(TBI) 3sp auto. Trucks are strictly hunting season/ pick something up every now and then vehicles. I have an '05 Suzuki for gas mileage purposes. :gr_patrio

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal, be prepared to sink around $2500 for a tranny rebuild, and possibly another $1500 or so for front & rear diff service (bearings & seals).
If it was me, I would get something with no more than 40,000 miles on the odo, but for that price, I'd say yes...even if you have to fix the tranny your total price paid for the truck & tranny would still be around what KBB states it's worth.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
If the rear main seal is leaking that usually indicates the engine is worn out. Usually you can fix the seal and never have a problem but sometimes you can't. We had a police car at work that had a rear main leaking. Sent it to the ferd dealer to have it replaced. A few weeks later the engine blew up.
I wouldn't go over 2k. 259K is a lot of miles on a V8.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
98QuadCabV10 said:
If the rear main seal is leaking that usually indicates the engine is worn out. Usually you can fix the seal and never have a problem but sometimes you can't. We had a police car at work that had a rear main leaking. Sent it to the ferd dealer to have it replaced. A few weeks later the engine blew up.
I wouldn't go over 2k. 259K is a lot of miles on a V8.
It blew up because it is a Ferd :thatfunny

·
Banned
62 Posts
thinking the same thing. :thatfunny

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
2200 for a running 4x4 truck is a good deal to me almost no matter what. Of course try to talk it down but I'd say 2200 sounds pretty good.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
for me, a determining factor in the purchase price would be what has been replaced/rebuilt and when.
If the tranny was rebuild and has less than 80,000 miles on it since the rebuild, and if the bottom end of the motor is tight, then maybe $2200 is not such a bad deal.
If everything is OEM, then I would not pay more than $1500 for it considering what I would need to spend on it to make it reliable.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it doesn't smoke. The rear was rebuilt last year. The shaft out the t-case is tight, as are the front shafts/hubs. My primary area of concern is the trans- it shifts fine, which indicates to me it must have been rebuilt at some point.... those early OD autos sucked. I guess I might put 2-3 thousand miles a year on my truck, so if it lasts 10K more miles that's like 4-5 years for me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, rear shocks look shot...easy fix there.

·
Banned
62 Posts
does a new valve body in a tranny=a rebuild?.......not trying to hijack just a question.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no idea.... I don't know if anything was done or it was a whole new trans....no telling

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
dodgerulessa said:
does a new valve body in a tranny=a rebuild?.......not trying to hijack just a question.
No. That's just one part. I rebuild consists of new clutches and seals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.