Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

Just had a major issue today on my 02 1500 QC. Hopefully someone may have the simple fix.

Today I unlock my door as normal with the key, then hit the auto door UNLOCK to put my bag in the back. (I don't have keyless entry) Anyway, the locks didn't work. Then I noticed a red light on my dash. I looked it up in the manual and it's the SECURITY LIGHT (I don't own a security system on it) I turn the ignition on to start the truck, it starts and runs like a champ. However, no instruments, no mileage, nothing digital. No speedo, no fuel, nothing, everything's dead. Just that RED LIGHT! My wipers don't work, my wiper pump either. No blinkers... And the headlights come on and stay on with the headlight switch off. They go off after I shut the truck off.
The truck drives fine too. The radio, A/C & windows all work fine. I checked fuses and they APPEAR to be OK. I left the battery unplugged too for about 3 hrs, no luck.

ANY HELP FOR THE NEEDY?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
..Let me add a little more to the mix..

My horn and interier lamps on the upper console don't work, but the upper console works with the display. No interior lights from the center head light unit either.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
With all of these systems having relatively little to do with each other, I tried tracking down where they all may physically come in contact with each other. I think you may want to take a look at your Integrated Power Module (Fuse Box to most of us, lol). Take a look at all the plugs that go into it from the rear. It kinda looks like one of them may have gotten water in it, or it may just have come loose. But with so many different systems all going out at the same time, it sounds like a wiring harness, it's connection, or something along those lines.

Keep us posted!

·
Banned
524 Posts
remove the battery cables for about 10-30 minutes, let it reset itself

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the cables on the fusebox earlier, but it never hurts to check again.. I already had left the battery unhooked for about 2-3 hrs, no luck there either.

I was reviewing the shop manual for it, and it seems like alot of the items not working are seem to be related to the FCM system. I looked at that last night but the only thing on that is to make sure the cables are plugged in.

Who knows, this one seems like it may be a dealership issue. I just know I'm going to get taken to the bank on this one..

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
tomk said:
I checked the cables on the fusebox earlier, but it never hurts to check again.. I already had left the battery unhooked for about 2-3 hrs, no luck there either.

I was reviewing the shop manual for it, and it seems like alot of the items not working are seem to be related to the FCM system. I looked at that last night but the only thing on that is to make sure the cables are plugged in.
That's kinda where I was going with it. I had looked at the service manual too, but hadn't narrowed it down as far as you did. I did see where one particular cable seemed to have an awful lot of the systems you described as either not working, or not working properly. The headlight system is interesting though. I really want to dig into it now and see what it is that actually makes them come on.
If the switch gives low-voltage ground to the sensing circuit (like a lot of these systems do), then I wonder how this circuit is getting it's ground with the key simply on (supposing that's how it works). That's why I mentioned that maybe water had gotten into one of the junctions.

Have you tried getting a fault code out of it? Oh wait, you said the odometer readout is gone, does it ever come on?

I have to admit that I'm glad I have the Superchips programmer now. I think I'd still be able to get a fault code, since it downloads to the programmer.

(Food for future thought:D)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't get any codes out of the odom. The only thing I can think of why the headlights come on when the ignition is engaged, is it must be some sort of safety feature perhaps. Because all the exterior lights are on at that point. Parking and headlights. It's definatley strange, and if I can't figure it out this weekend, Monday will be a trip to a dealership. And I hope its something simple like a re-flash of something. I don't need to be paying for a new FCM or something. Especially with truck I wasn't planning on keeping much longer! Doesn't it always happen that way!

If you have any more thoughts, share them! Thanks!

·
SRT-4
3,262 Posts
My instrument cluster went out at around 10,000 miles. Same thing happened you're describing.

The headlights are indeed a saftey feature.

Took it in and replaced under warranty.

Sounds like the same problem...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.