DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"HELP"...my 85 250 sportsman van will not keep a charge...I have replaced the battery, checked the alternator, replaced the battery terminals, drove the van on a 200 mile round trip, next morning battery dead...will take jumpstart, can drive around town running errands, but if left off for more than 1-2 hours, battery dies

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
What kind of voltage is the alternator putting out? Should be anywhere from 13.5V to 14.5V

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you've checked the alternater and the output is fine, that also rules out the voltage regulator.

You might have a load that is still drawing power even when the van is shut off. You could try putting an ampmeter between the battery and the leads, and see how much current is being drawn when everything is shut off.

Or, as a test of the battery, you could disconnect it when you park it, and reconnect in the morning. Test the voltage when you park it (should be 12.4-12.8 volts) and check again in the morning. I know you said you replaced the battery already, but I've purchased batteries that were DOA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.