DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have the same problem as I did when we figured out the alternator was shot ...

I went out, turned the key and absolutely nothing today ... it doesn't click or anything

I hope this new alternator is not shot - I don't know if I have a wiring problem that could be screwing things up or not ... too frustrated to look right now

Checked the battery - its new and fully charged

headlights work just fine and are bright

but I mean when you turn the key, there is nothing ...

any ideas on what to check ?

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Do you have it in park or neutral?

Any power at all to the gauges turn signals etc?

Maybe you have blown a fuse link again or have a bad connection at the firewall bulkhead connector.

Check some more out and let us know.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Didn't you just replace the wiring harness recently? Like sixpack said make sure it's in park or neutral. Keep us updated.

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
My old Cuda did weird things like that. It was for some reason that the neutral safety switch was the cause of that dilemma all the time. I always thought that the starter relay switch wasn't grounded good enough. :huh:

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no I had a crazy summer and never got around to actually installing the wiring harnesses ..

I tried it in both park and neutral ... but will try it again later today

BTW - where is the neutral switch ?

TIA

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
It's on the transmission, driver's side down by the pan. It's either a 3-prong switch (auto) or 2-prong (manual). It's near where the linkage goes into the trans.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would call around local auto part stores,maybe Napa would have it. Just unplug the switch & R&R the switch. I dont remember the wrench size but a cresent should work fine. Let us know what you find.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a little update, but I still have the prob, and a few more things to check out

Cleaned every connection I could find or thought could possible affect the prob

Tried starting it with the lights on, didn't see a change in the lights

checked all the wire connections to the bulk head, made sure the starter relay connections were tight (and clean)

no smell of smoke before or after ...

I down to taking off parts and having them tested ... the starter will be the hardest, since it has headers

Can't imagine its the alternator, but that won't stop me from having it tested (its a brand new - read: not rebuit one)

I was just driving the car a day or two before ... everything was fine then ... had a sunny day, thought I'd take it out one more time and thats when it happened

I appreciate everyone input, and have a few other things to do (outside of the garage) so I won't have a chance to test other parts right away, but I will visit this post from time to time and let you know what I finally found out ...

TIA

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tried jumping the starter relay ... it will make just one click, but the engine does not turn over at all

I 'm thinking the starter is toast

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
Hi Ram Man,
Are your connections to the battery clean and tight?
Sounds like a high resistance (wiring connections) problem to me.
IMHO
Scott

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
RAM MAN said:
tried jumping the starter relay ... it will make just one click, but the engine does not turn over at all

I 'm thinking the starter is toast
Put a test light or voltmeter at the starter positive cable connection and read the voltage when jumping the relay, if the test light goes out or you have very little voltage available, you better check your cables, if their ok then your starter is either no good(make sure it is grounded and not loose) or engine locked up.??

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
If you haven't already, you may want to consider going to the small MP starter. It provide more starting torque and is small enough to be away from the extreme heat of the headers. Those big Chrysler starters won't last around that header heat.

·
Love my 66 monaco 500
1,239 Posts
Hi Ram Man,
Any luck?
Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.