Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Ram 5.2
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List,

I've recently purchased my 99 Ram Club Cab. There are 3 things I'd like to try to fix myself, however I would like to be sure and not screw anything up in the processes. Any words of advise will be greatly appreciated.

1)The dash is to dim at night. I can turn the thumb wheel up, however it doesn't have any effect until it gets to the top position. All lights come on at that point and the thumb wheel gets HOT! So...this leads me to think that the dash dimmer controller is defective. I intend to replace it. Is there a trick to getting at it. I don't see any screws?

2)If I turn the key in the ignition switch in the couter clockwise direction the key in ignition chime stays on so that I am unable to listen to the radio. Is this normal?

3)The driver side knob that controls the mirror has no effect when I turn it. I'm assuming something is loose or broken somewhere. Any ideas?

Many Thanks! :help:

·
Registered
138 Posts
new switch

and yes mine is the same

and i would say new switch or regulator

·
Registered
607 Posts
The entire instrument panel comes off, it's held in by spring clips, and just pulls out, you'll need he steering column adjusted down, and the shifter in a low geat to get them out of the way.
Then there's maybe 3 screws holding the switch in place, it's easy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
:D oh block the tires

·
Registered
99 Ram 5.2
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3)The driver side knob that controls the mirror has no effect when I turn it. I'm assuming something is loose or broken somewhere. Any ideas?

I know of no "regulator" that would control a non-electric type mirror. My thinking is something is wrong in the linkages between the adjustment knob and the back of the mirror. So....do I tear into the door or the mirror?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Eastcreek said:

I know of no "regulator" that would control a non-electric type mirror. My thinking is something is wrong in the linkages between the adjustment knob and the back of the mirror. So....do I tear into the door or the mirror?
I'm fairly certain that you should have an electrically adjustable mirror rather than the cable operated manual one, Does it have the L<->R logo on the top of the knob, and no control at the passenger side? If so then it's electric. Turning it switches the side that the single control operates when it's pushed sideways/up/down. In any case you have to get the door trim off to get to either the back fo the switch or the mounting screws for the mirror, though you can get to the motors in the mirrir by snapping out the glass, it's held on by a ring of plastic with snap tabs around it.

·
Registered
99 Ram 5.2
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks QC. I hopped into the truck just now and told myself since the windows were electric the mirrors might be as well. You were right! (I feel like and idiot)

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.