DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im re-gearing my 97 1500 4x4, going with 456's, rear end already done and works great. Im taking apart my front end now and noticed that both the right and left axle shafts are similar in length, even though the Dana 44 has a driver side off-set... After the axle's were out i tried removing the carrier but its VERY tight... I know pre-load has to be set but this was unusually tight...Does anyone know if there is another axle shaft that has to be removed or any ideas what is keeping the carrier in????

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't if the 44's are the same in this respect or not but, the dana 60's need a case spreader to pry the case apart enough to get the carrier out and back especially. The guy who built the 60 for my charger said you can also use a large prybar and persuade the carrier out but you need to be careful about it (mainly about the ring gear) but since your replacing yours I would think you could be a little more forceful about it. I would assume since the 44 and 60 are pretty close to each other in design this might be whats required to work on your 60. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx RedRam...I did some more investigating and found that there is a shaft that is actuated by the Vacumme line.. The 4x4 vacumme actuator has to be removed and the shaft slid to the passengers side.. This should free up the carrier (HOPEFULLY) ....thx for the reply ....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well that makes sense. I've never worked on or see a ram front axle worked on so this is all new to me. But glad you figured it out?? Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.