DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 stratus 2.0 5spd. the check engine light has been on for a while. i hooked it up to the obdII thing at school and it said MUX CRUISE SW HI this is weird b/c i dont have cruise. any ideas???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cruise code is 34

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
kud said:
...MUX CRUISE SW HI...
What?! Has your vehicle been "acting" up lately? It looks like your computer might have seen better days.

·
Registered
135 Posts
According to the manual that I have, code 34 is Open or short condition detected in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits

So, according to that, it would mean that it was an electrical problem with one of your vacuum switches. Use an ohmmeter to ring out each solenoid. Make sure that they are not shorted or open.

OBD II will clear the CEL once it has three start-ups without any faults.

RK

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the car runs and drives fine its just annoying to always see that damn light. i'll check the solenoids and see.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my car also makes a light clunk noise when i go over bumps, is it the lower ball joint, bushings, struts??????

·
Registered
38 Posts
The code 34 probem os probably being caused by the vaccum hose come off the engine to the I believe EGR valve. You will find this located on the back driver side of the engine. It seems they did not secure the valve and just let it hang off the hoses. I ended up securing it with a hose clamp and using a zip tie to secure the EGR valge to something. To clear the check engine light if you disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes and hook it back up after you fix the vaccum issue the light will go out.

As for the clunk, it is very likely the stabilizer bar end links. The dealer found it on mine after two years of rattles going over bumps.

You have a good car configuration, I have 350,000 plus miles on mine and it is still going.

Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would the stabilizer bar make the steering wheel sit crooked? as for the egr i checked the hoses and they were all hooked up, could the egr be bad??

·
Registered
38 Posts
The stabilizer bar should not affect the steering wheel. The part I replaced is just the end of the stabilizer bar that ties it into the suspension. As for what to check next, you should invest in a manual. I have a Haynes and it has procedures to check the diferent valves. You may also want to check and make sure the EGR valve hose coming off the engine is not plugged.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i checked the egr again and one of the hoses going to the engine has a chunk missing from it, i'm pretty sure thats what it is because my car is also saying CAT EFFIC LOW, i'll replace the hose and let you know. what could effect the wheel, i was thinking tie rod or end, but i dont know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am not sure what you are refering to when you say the steering wheel is bent. If it is off like it is twisted side to side or phisically bent chances are the car was in an accident. If the steering is not returning to the straight position to go straight that is an alignment issue. For the first problem a body shop may be able to help straighten it out but you need to use caution or you are risking triggering the air bag. For the second you should check around for a reliable alignment shop that offers a warranty. They are pretty good as they don't like to have to do the work twice, I have had good luck with Sears. They will be able to best tell you if you have any suspension part issues tie rod ends or ball joint issues also.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
k, thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats what i was thinking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status