DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Durango back from having the grille and bumper painted. They didn't mask off the grille!!!

This is a conversation my fiance and I had after I dropped off the parts last week:

Me: I just dropped off the parts.
Him: Did you tell them to mask off the grille?
Me: No. Should I have to? The "insert" area is left black from the factory.

Sure as shit, they didn't mask it off. I have to drop it off again tomorrow. :mad: :VHOT: :mad:

After I pointed this out to the receptionist, she went to talk to the paint person. I got a couple excuses from them that were pretty amusing.

1: Since I didn't have an OEM grille on it in the first place, he had nothing to compare it to. (As if they have never seen a freakin Durango before)
2: Some Durangos come with painted inserts from the factory. (I call BS)
3: The guy that did the paint quote didn't write in/charge me to mask it off.

So yes, multiple levels of blame going on, but they are supposedly going to fix this. I can't wait to find out what they are going to do to get rid of that paint.

Am I wrong? Were there Durangos that came like this from the factory? I really don't think there are ANY.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I like it white. Looks good!

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Looking back at it....you should get some gutter guard and have it painted white - since they own you one - (or spray paint it yourself) also have fill those 4 holes at the bottom bumper. Then you would be looking really awesome!!

Leave it white!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, I want the front end to be stock everything except for the hood.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Well, I hope all works out for ya. You still have an awesome looking ride!!!

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Me too. I'd leave it white. Very sporty.
I had a '99 Dakota sport, before my Ram. I thought my inserts were dark green (same as truck, and grille shell), but my wife thinks they were black. I can't find any pictures that are close enough to the grille to really tell, because the green, and black are so close when in shadows. Anyway, I thought they were the same color.
Regardless, the white looks good, but if you didn't want the insert white, then the paint shop should fix it.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
wow a lot of posts came up before I typed all that. I mean "me too", as in I like it too.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Shots said:
Me too. I'd leave it white. Very sporty.
See, I'm not the only one...

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Daaaaamn Gina!!! (my daughter's name, I'm used to saying it all the time) I like the white,myself, if you like, I'll ship you my black oem's as I have no use for them (email me a ups label). Or, get a can of flat black and fix it, dammmmittttttt!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks for your suggestions guys, but we obviously have a difference in opinion about what looks good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B1G BLEU said:
Daaaaamn Gina!!! (my daughter's name, I'm used to saying it all the time) I like the white,myself, if you like, I'll ship you my black oem's as I have no use for them (email me a ups label). Or, get a can of flat black and fix it, dammmmittttttt!
That's the problem with this grille, the insert things don't actually come out. I'll probably just take the grille off and bring it back to them tomorrow morning so they can figure out how they are going to cheap dick me.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
The inserts rip off (literally), they're melted to the shell. No drilling. You would glue them back on with epoxy when done. You could also get aftermarket billets in black that bolt on from the back.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I really like it white too. In fact I think I might get me some white paint and do mine!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also like it white... I don't think I have ever seen one where the OEM plastic matched the paint... Thumbs up for me... :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I personally feel that this looks much much better:

I photoshopped out the white, don't mind my lacking skills.
Anyway, it's back at the body shop right now, they are somehow going to "fix" it. We'll see.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
how about just throwing a black powder coated grille-tech piece over it from ebay?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it got "fixed" in other words, it's black, and I like the way it looks much better than painted white, but if you get up close and scrutinize it like I do, then it is obvious that the black paint job is pretty half ass. I guess it just gets me because it shouldn't have to be painted black in the first place, like it wouldn't be like this if they had done it right in the first place. Oh well, here are pics:

Like I said, I am picky and I scrutinize:

At least the mistakes aren't so glaring that you notice them from afar:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.